In The Arms Of The Better Lover, The Better Brother (4)

Off to the right is John Goodman who is the king from the first chapter.

**********************

The confusing thing about Aunnabelleiiyna is her inconsistency. Last night she told me that she forgave me for my outburst and it seemed we had found a mutual agreement of pacivity on some level. However, upon waking this morning it was like nothing had ever happened.

No she didn’t scowl at me, she hadn’t done that before either, and no she wasn’t addressing me in whatsoever a rude way, but she ignored me in that gentle way that ignored her. I thought I had picked up enough of her charm to understand that she would have begun to treat me in a more normal and civil way. As if I was just another person and idle conversation would be inevitable.

But then again I took no craving for such an act so take this as not a complaint for her not doing it. Understand it only as an observation.

Yes, however, she did continue with her life as if last night had never happened. She flirted endlessly with Benjamin, as she had been doing the whole trip, and occupied every ounce of his attention while I cleaned up camp.

And when riding commenced, she immediately held quiet fast, slipping into her wordless stupor.

Noon day Benjamin demanded we stop so he could hunt once before we returned to the castle. Once inside the walls we had to align ourselves to the dictations of courtly manners and chivalry.

“I do believe that would be alright, if you insist,” I told him, not liking the prospects of having to spend my idle time with Aunnabelleiiyna in all inconsistency.

“I’ll be hunting in the northern bank of our trail. Feel free to have delights in all other directs, brother,” he grinned, bowing to the princess. “And you, my fair maiden,” he mocked lightly, “are to have no fun whatsoever while I am in absence. Is this agreed?”

She laughed. “I’ll do my best to brood the empty space aside me while you are gone. Have fun, Benjamin.”

And that left two.

The silence was about to turn lethal when I realized where we were.

“Aunnabelleiiyna,” I said suddenly, whipping around.

“Yes, Benigno?”

“I’d like to show you something, if that would be alright with you. It’s a bit a walk, and a small climb too, but it’s absolutely beautiful and completely worth the trials in the end.”

It’d also be wicked fun to see her try to climb a straight up cliff in that skirt of hers.

“I’d love too,” she smiled. “Thank you for offering.”

“It is to the south east,” and then I set out, not waiting to watch her trail behind. 

She was fine when we walked over huge boulders, and when we crossed a small creek, and even made it through the briars without tearing her fragile fabrics. However, when we came to the cliff and made an abrupt start up, landing myself on the top while she was stilling gauging her footholds, I thought she would tell me she could not continue. Were it I, I would not have been able to climb that cliff in her skirts.

However, as if she were dressed in pants like I, she swiftly and easily climbed up, never once losing or questioning her footing.

When she got to top, I gave her hand, as only chivalry dictated, but she didn’t need it. True she failed to release it, but she never called upon it for assistance in supporting her weight. With her feet firmly on the tiny plateau, her hand still wrapped in mine own, she smiled wickedly at me.

“You thought yourself mighty clever, did you not?” she asked, her green eyes dancing.

“I haven’t the slightest idea what you could possibly be referring to,” I said, in the highest dignity.

She just laughed lowly then turned to face the eastern horizon. Her breath caught audibly and she grip on my hand loosened.

Understandably so, of course. It was quite the sight; the entirety of her father’s kingdom, or at least the castle and it’s citydom. A good hundred thousand people live down there, tucked away in the sprawling hills of the enclosure. The walls were tall and ominous, but they only completed the beauty of the scene. Down there, inside those white stone walls, was the sight of the land Aunnabelleiiyna was destined to rule. True she would hold possession of even the ground right beneath my very feet, but that would be the city that she would wake up to every morning. It would be those hundred thousand people that she would have to answer too, that when she made a false decision, would have to control the riots of.

This was her kingdom.

And it was beautiful.

Absolutely beautiful.

And then, without warning, or justification, she turned to me, making me turn too, and kissed me.

If she wanted me to fall from the cliff, then had thought of the perfect way to do it. Surprising, her act was, certainly. I hadn’t expected her to kiss me.

Kiss me.

Me!

Benjamin I’d understand. She had taken quite the liking to him. But me, me, she barely tolerated. I was the one who had called her loose and virtueless. I was the one who had laughed at her authority and forced her to climb a cliff in damn ballroom gown.

I was the one who had taken a laugh at her expense.

And as I stumbled backwards, completely swept away from the intensity and heat of the way she had kissed me, she smiled pertly, squeezed my hand tightly, and jumped from the cliff, her skirts slowing her down as she fell.

My foot slipped on loose pebbles and I fell on my backside, nearly sliding down the cliff.

It occurred to me then, as her laughter began to fade away into the forest, exactly what she had done.

“You fancy yourself very clever, don’t you?” I called down, scanning the trees for her.

She peaked out then from behind one tree, holding it supply.

“I haven’t the slightest idea what you could possibly be referring to,” she smiled, and then turned quickly, her mass of dark curls cascading around her as she ran back towards the trees where our horses were tethered.

**************

Comments?