Chapter 1

The Flames
His Majesty King Martin's POV

It happened so fast. One moment, I was singing a goodnight poem to my darling daughter ''... the Knight bowed at last where the golden rose lay....''. And in a blink, the screaming started. The soldier outside the door cried '' Sound the alarm! There's an ambush!!''. I heard the bell toll and  got up trying to understand the commotion.

Reynard, my loyal commander-in-chief came rushing in'' There's been a breach your highness'' he said catching his breath. I was already alert, sword bare, ready to fight. He continued, '' It's Viktor's army..they have breached the walls of our fortress my Lord. They are in the kingdom setting houses on fire. We have got to move you and the princess to safety. Quick!''

I snatched the Princess from the window she was looking through. There was no time, but I caught a glance of the kingdom ablaze against purple night. She was scared, after all she was just a nine year old. I kissed her forehead trying to reassure her ''Nothing to worry little hunter, daddy's here.'' I have to get to Amanda! ''Where's the Queen?'' I asked. ''In your room, my Lord.''

Carrying Katherine I ran down the corridor with Reynard. '' I don't understand the outbreak Reynard! Where were our soldiers?'' He looked angered and ashamed '' Turns out they infiltrated our armed forces my Lord. Not all, but mostly the midnight guards. They have been taken care of sire.''

We were there, the king's chambers. ''Amanda!'' I cried. She appeared from behind the curtain with her dagger pointed to kill. She gasped ''Martin!!'' She didn't have to say anything further. ''I know, I know!!'' I replied putting Katherine down. She ran to her mother and grabbed her at waist. ''It's okay princess'' she cooed.

''Take her out, through the tunnel, leading to outskirts. Stay put in the woods. I'll meet you at the pine.'' I ordered Amanda and pulled her and Katherine into a hug. I kissed her forehead and whispered ''NOW''. She nodded and replied ''kill them all''. She winked and left with a fierce look in her eyes. I sighed with awe, she's still the hunter I fell in love with.

''Go get the green barrets ready. Meet me at the gate with the horses. Get people to evacuate Alexandria and order them to hide in woods and Reynard...'' I said putting my hand on his shoulder ''Get Destin and Lady Sophia, show them the safe passage.'' I commanded. ''I'll go get the weapons.'' I ran down the hall to my armory after he left. Put on my armor and grabbed a rifle. I pulled out a sword and grabbed the Princess' bow and arrow.

I hurried down the stairs and across the hall ordering maids and servants to leave as soon as possible through the tunnels in the kitchen storehouse. At the gate Reynard was on foot slashing through the enemies alongside some of our own soldiers. He acknowledged me and nodded killing the last soldier who was running towards the castle with a torch. ''Seal the gates! Stand guard!'' he ordered to the rest and got on his horse. I climbed on Bolt - my beautiful steed built for speed. ''heeyaaa'' and she started running towards the center square of the kingdom.

The scenario was worse than I thought. It was all because they had attacked at night when people were deep in slumber unaware of these wolves. Houses, shops, stables, everything was burning, people were fleeing from the soldiers. I steered Bolt to their aid and sliced the soldiers chasing them.  There were burnt bodies lying around, women and children crying.. It was a sight that shook me to the core. A coward attacked me from the back, I took aim and shot him down with my gun. The shot echoed in the blistering town, Guns were only available to royalty and for once, I was happy for that. Reynard had distractions of his own. But we had each others back, often we worked as one mean killing machine. We killed as many foes as we can, driving them out of Alexandria. Our group of fighters was small but strong. We were winning the war but we had lost our homes. Everything burned down to dust. I could see half of my army trying to tame the fire and lead people away.

Hundreds of shots and gashes later, the surviving rivals began to fall back. It was tiring after all the buzz burned out. And depressing, watching the ashes from the fire floating through the streets. I got down near the fountain at the center of the square. I saw my reflection and the blazing fire behind me, in the pool below. It was then I took an oath to seek revenge. Viktor was a fool to fight me. He had not played fair... I won't either. I Washed my face and my wounds.

'' The people need us My Lord. We have to leave for woods, now! They need protection, our soldiers will take care of the rest.''

I got up and gave a grim nod. ''Let's go.''