Chapter Two

She closed the bedroom door quietly behind her, careful not to wake Lucy. Adjusting the strap on her shoulder, Violet tucked the bag under her arm before hobbling down the hallway. Turning the handle, she pushed open the door, revealing the sight of the rising sun. Its rays shone on her face, warming her from the chill of the early morning. Looking up and down the street, she spotted a few villagers emerging from their homes, preparing for a hard day’s work. Violet bid good morning to those passing by, as she made her way to the shed, where Daisy had spent the night.

        “Well hello there, Daisy.” The mare looked up from the hay, letting out a soft neigh in greeting. The light from the open door shone onto her chestnut coat, giving her a golden appearance, glowing in the dark room. Violet moved to the horse patting her on the head, and gently scratching the area above her nose.

        “You like that, don’t you girl?” Daisy grunted in appreciation.

        She dropped the bag and staff onto the floor, moving to retrieve the saddle from the back of the shed. Violet stumbled slightly as she readied Daisy, and put most her weight on her right leg to maintain balance. She picked up her things from the floor, tying the bag to Daisy, before gently leading her out the shed. Violet made sure to shut the door tightly, else vermin would find their way inside; the buggers had bitten poor Daisy a few too many times.

        Staff in hand, she pulled her self up onto Daisy, securing her right leg in the stirrup, before pushing herself up. Violet brought her left leg over the right, fastening it between the two pommels. She took a moment to be thankful for such a creation; the sidesaddle was a gift to women in skirts, and cripples such as she.

        The pair leisurely made their way down the garden’s path to the main road. Violet breathed in, filling her lungs with the morning’s fresh air, before reaching into her bag to look for a bite to eat.

        She munched on a succulent apple; it’s juices dripping down her chin, as she guided Daisy out of Ashland. Once they reached the woods, Violet had had her fill, and leaned forward to feed Daisy the fruit’s remains. She steadied herself before bringing the mare to a trot, making sure to maintain a steady pace, as they travelled in the midst of the forest’s trees.

        Violet’s thoughts drifted to her uncle, how would he react to the emergence of her abilities? He had assumed the medication would suppress the poison for another year at the least. Providing Douglas with much needed time to search for an antidote, or a stronger suppressant. But it’s only been a few months now; could he have discovered something?

        Her uncle rarely spoke of his findings, fearing to jinx any luck he’s had. He spent countless nights pouring over endless books or experimenting with the rarest of herbs, concocting hundreds of potions. The answer to his research always eluded him; but he never did give up hope. Violet marveled at his drive; not capable of understanding how one could keep going after so much disappointment…so much lost effort.

        She had accepted her fate long ago, but it was still a shock to learn that her death could come so soon. What would it do to Douglas? Violet worried for her uncle’s sanity; he’d surely overwork himself if he put any more effort into his research… unless he really has found something promising, as Lucy had implied.

        Violet smiled at that thought; the witch always managed to bring light to a situation, no matter how dire it seemed. She had done so much for Violet over the years, proving her worth as a godmother.

        Lucy went so far as to taking Violet as a student, educating her from the young age of four, she taught her a great deal over the years. History, literature, mathematics, the sciences; Violet could even hold her own in a discussion in politics. There was so much to learn from this world, Violet wondered if she would ever get the chance to see it. She longed to be free of this wretched curse, to see the world, to meet her father… and to live happily as her mother once had…