Chapter Nine

"Can we get some more hot water in here?" Ellen cried to the guard, she had sent him down the hall a while back, and hasn't since stopped spewing out demands.

The enchantress had her fingers in Violet's hair lathering it with soap, while a young maiden, by the name of Emma, stood nearby a bucket of water in her arms. Violet rested her head on the edge of the small bathtub clad only in her soaked undergarments. They stuck to her like a second skin, barely preserving her modesty; still, she refused to be bare in Ellen's presence.

Warm water was poured onto Violet's head; she relished the relaxing sensation, all her stressful thoughts melting away. She was scrubbed till her skin turned pink, warm water washing away the residing soap suds, before being enveloped in a large fluffy towel. With her wrists still in shackles, Violet required all the assistance she could get, even her dress had to be cut off with the help of some scissors.

Violet had been taken to the improved prison cell that late afternoon, only to be joined an hour later by Ellen leading a pair of men carrying a small tub. She didn't comprehend how the woman was able to obtain permission, but chose not to ask questions anyway. She was relieved to find that Ellen was also not interested in probing her, focusing only on getting her cleaned up. The enchantress had even managed to get a partition sent up to the prison cell, providing them with all the privacy they needed.

Before removing her dripping garments, Emma had unstitched a chemise for her; sewing it back in place after Violet had slipped it on. The young maid helped dry her long hair, lifting it up into a unique fashion, before she stitched on a dark purple gown suitable for the courtroom. Emma was quite the talented seamstress, fitting it correctly about Violet, without pricking her once.

Violet joined Ellen on the rickety old bed near the window as the room was cleared out, and a tray bearing a hot meal was rolled in. She gorged herself on the delicious stew, not paying any attention to Ellen as she laughed at her expense. Once satisfied, Violet leaned back with a smile on her face and a chained hand on her belly.

"How are you feeling?"

"Quite content, actually," her lips stretched into a small smile, watching on as Emma pushed the trolley out the door held open by the guard. A thin, elderly man appeared behind the bars, carrying a rectangular wooden box by its leather handle.

"As you should be... Ah, here come's Jonathon Clerk, our resident physician," Ellen stood, up beckoning Violet to do the same.

"He's here to verify your earlier statements; I wouldn't worry if I were you, he's quite the accomplished sorcerer," Ellen whispered in her ear as she helped her up.

"Ellen, I'm not surprised to find you here," Jonathon gave her a quick nod as he was let in, before turning to Violet.

"...And you must be miss Violet," he peered at her, down his long hawk-like nose. He broke his gaze, pushing the box into Ellen's arms, "if you would lend me your assistance."

"Once a student, always a student, I suppose," she placed it on the bed unclasping the lid, before pushing it back on it's hinges.

Without prior consent, warm hands grasped Violet's face; Jonathon pulled back her lower eyelids peering closely at her veins.

"Your age?"

"I've only recently turned nineteen," she swayed on her feet, trying to maintain balance.

"I hope you're taking notes Ellen.... Hmm, have you lost blood recently?"

"She was stabbed in her left upper thigh Jon, I found out only after she had lost consciousness right before me. Treatment was delayed, leading her to develop an infection before I could apply salve," Ellen sat on the bed scrawling into a leather bound book, a piece of charcoal in her hand.