Chapter One

“I must say, I’m surprised to see you here. Has Douglas run out of supplies already?” Inquired Lucy, pouring tea for the both of them. Her blonde locks bouncing around, as she leaned forward.

        “No, I’ve come here out of my own accord.” Violet hesitated, not sure how to start. Lucy smiled knowingly; azure eyes twinkling as she regarded Violet, before passing her a steaming cup.

        Violet accepted the drink, graciously welcoming the distraction. The white porcelain was intricately designed with thin strands of gold; a token from a patron of Lucy’s, and part of a set all the way from Odlyn.

        The den itself was crowded with trinkets from all over the kingdom; collected throughout hundreds of years. Violet spent much of her childhood in this very room, inspecting each of the items under Lucy’s unwavering eye. Shelves were filled to the brim with scrolls, books, and a variety of curiously enchanted creations. Similarly, dozens of paintings and timepieces hung from the walls, an odd dream catcher here and there.

        Violet blew at the hot beverage, before cautiously taking a sip; detecting a hint of lavender. Hmm this was new, a recent import perhaps?

        Clearing her throat, Violet looked up from her drink, “I believe my abilities have begun to manifest…” She paused, searching for some kind of reaction from Lucy; but she merely continued sipping her tea.

        With her youthful appearance and lively demeanor, Lucy didn’t seem much older than Violet. In truth, however, she had lived through centuries past; now holding the title of Ashland’s village elder. As well as guardian of The Burnt Forest, and godmother of one Violet Heart (self proclaimed.)

         “Go on.”

        “Well, throughout the week I’ve begun to hear my uncle’s thoughts. I say thoughts, because I heard his voice… yet, his lips weren’t moving.”

        “It isn’t only him, in fact, it’s everyone at the farm: dear old Holly, Mary, and Anne. Not to mention Mr. Barrett, and his fieldworkers. I could feel their minds at work; hear their thoughts and worries… seemingly at random times. Until yesterday afternoon, that is…” Violet took another sip before continuing. “I was helping uncle Douglas distribute their wages, when I began hearing them, all at once… and I couldn’t stop it… I had to excuse myself, feigning illness.” Violet sighed, drinking her tea. The beverage seemed to seep away her stress, there was no doubt Lucy had enhanced it somehow.

        “I didn’t wish to burden my uncle any more than I already have; besides, he’s quite preoccupied with the state of the crops, winter coming and all. He didn’t appear to suspect anything anyway; presuming my discomfort was merely from the supposed illness… So, I thought I’d consult you on the matter first. Hence, late last night, whilst he was busy with one of his experiments, I informed him that I’d be visiting you today…  Which brings me to this morning’s unfortunate incident…”

        Averting her eyes, Violet’s clear speech turned into muttering. “I woke up, mind still clouded by the thoughts of those around me. Mary doing the washing, Holly serving breakfast, and Jack… Well, I was a little peeved by his thoughts as he prepared my Daisy for the journey.”

        Here Lucy let out a chuckle. “Oh, this I’d like to here.”

        Violet let out a puff, irritated. “Well, you shan’t… anyhow I wont be looking at dear Jack the same way I used to.” Lucy was now cackling wildly, apparently unable to control herself.