13 - Overconfidence

The ruin was the first sign of human civilization she encountered in these lands. The sight of it filled her with hope; perhaps, there really was a city nearby. If her father had ended up unwillingly in this place, he might have gone there! 

She thought about the boy she'd seen last night. Although he hadn't looked like the boys from town, he had been human. Where there really humans living in the Moren? Or was he some kind of servant of Maleficent? 

Her glance slid back to the ruin. A top of a hill, were the remains of three walls. The stones were covered with moss and woody creepers, as if nature was trying to erase these human traces.

"I'd like to take a look at it... Raven."

Her bond with the bird had become so strong that she liked to give it a name, but since she didn't know if it was a male or a female, she decided to choose the most obvious name that came to mind.

Raven croaked so loudly it sounded like a protest. He kept floating in front of her face and croaked once more. 

"What is it? Do you think it's unwise to go to the ruin or do you dislike the name Raven?"

Once again, the bird screeched before it flew away, following the path. 

Alesana sighed. She understood the message, but she was too curious to simply walk past this little piece of civilization. There were only a few walls, what evil could it hide? 

Stubbornly she left the path and climbed the hill. The tower seemed to grow with every step she took. A few moments later, she arrived at the wall. She had to bent back her head to see the top of it. Excited, she walked around the building. Raven had come back but watched her from a distant tree as if he didn't want to come closer. 

A strange tingling traveled through her fingers as she touched the wall. The stone was warmer than expected, but she failed to discover a heat source. There was something strange about this ruin, although high walls and a pile of broken stones were all she could see. 

Alesana grabbed the climbing plants. If she climbed up, she would have a better sight of the surroundings. Perhaps she would even see the city this tower belonged to, for she assumed a tower wouldn't be of much use on its own. 

With help of the plants she managed to get on top of the wall. Now and then her feet slipped away, but strangely, there was not a single hint of fear in her body. She only felt a determination she didn't understand. 

Once she was on top, she sat down, her legs dangling over the edge. Amazed she looked around, at the world on her feet. The view was spectacular. Fruit trees filled the heaths between the brightly colored lakes. Alesana couldn't believe her eyes. Were these waters really red and deep green or was it all an illusion? Either way, the tower had a strange influence on her. She felt extremely courageous and she was convinced that she would be able to beat a new swarm of bats without blinking an eye. 

Over her shoulder, she looked at Raven, who was still hiding between the branches like a coward. 

"Come over here!" Laughing, she waved at him. "It's just a wall! There's nothing to be afraid of!"

Without his usual croaking, the bird kept staring at her as if it was trying to tell her something. Alesana turned her gaze back to the landscape, taking in the lakes, valleys and ridges in the distance. There was no city, no traces of civilization; as if Raven and she were the only living beings around here. 

Or not? 

Just as she wanted to turn her face back to Raven, she saw a movement from the corner of her eye. Deep below her, red shades slogged through the bushes. Her vision wasn't sharp, but she thought to distinguish arms and legs. With a shock, she noted that she looked right through a row of trees. 

"Raven!" she called out. "What's happening?!"

She turned towards the raven in such a hurry that her hand leaned upon a loose stone. Before her eyes found the bird, the stone slipped away and she lost her balance. Screaming, she grabbed at something to hold on to, but she spun around during her fall and failed to reach the climbing plants. Before she could think about the consequences, she hit the ground and was consumed by a terrifying Nothing.