Chapter 8 - Charles

"Dude, it's official," Michael said as Felix laughed hysterically. "The guy's nuts. He completely lost it."

I shook my head. "Can you blame him? He must've been here for too long."

Nicole crossed her arms. "Well, we need to get out of here if we don't want to end up like him. Or Diana."

I flinched at the mention of her name, which Nicole or Michael thankfully didn't notice.

When Nicole began suspecting Diana about joining a cult, I thought she has gone crazy. I don't know why she was suddenly accusing her of doing so, but apparently, she was right.

But there's a little thing that wasn't making any sense.

"There's something he said that's been bugging me." I touched my chin. "Something about forgetting."

"What about it?" Nicole asked.

"I was thinking. . . If what you said about Diana joining a 'cult' or whatever this place is is true, then why is Felix saying that they, including Diana, have forgotten? And what exactly have they forgotten?"

"You've got a point," she said, her forehead wrinkling. "Wait, Felix mentioned that whoever was behind all this brainwashed them. Do you think. . . she somehow erased Diana's memories?"

"That's kinda impossible, babe," Michael butted in. "She remembers her name, obviously. She also knows us and that we're her friends."

"Were," Nicole corrected. "But you're right, though. Maybe Felix is just spouting nonsense because, you know, he's. . ."

"Crazy?" Michael supplied.

"Yeah. That," Nicole said. "So, Diana and the others probably joined the cult or whatever on their own will."

"But Diana was shaken when we saw her in the hospital," I said. "That didn't look like acting. She definitely looked terrified and traumatized."

Nicole scoffed. "Well, I don't know and care about that, but I'm still going to stick to the 'joining the cult on her will' theory."

I looked at her, unamused. I still can't believe she would give up hope on Diana like that.

Before I could even argue, the sound of incoming footsteps made the three of us fall silent. The cell doors slowly opened, revealing three men and. . . her.

Among them who stood frigidly was Diana, who looked at me with glowing green eyes.

Wait a minute. . . Green eyes? But she used to have blue ones. . .

I slowly took a step forward, careful of my movements.

"Diana, are you oka-" One of them blocked my way and grappled me with my arms behind my back. I struggled.

"Hey! Let go of my friend!" Michael shouted, but he was also taken by another. And so was Nicole after a moment of resistance from her holder.

"Don't touch me!" Nicole gritted her teeth. "Let. Me. Go!"

The four of them remained silent and continued walking us out of the cell. The hallway outside was as dim as the cell we were just in. I glanced at the cell beside ours and saw a pair of soulless eyes peeking at a hole on the door.

Felix.

He blinked a second later and his eyes looked like a wave washed over him. Eyes frantic, he began slamming on the door and shouting.

"Get me out of here!" he screamed. "Get me out!"

I tried going to him but I was pulled back to my place. My holder gave out a low grunt.