twenty four

Riley Murphy

2048

I couldn't stop my mouth from bleeding no matter what I tried.

Levi, Gage, Alex and Megan left for the warehouse after I'd stormed back into the house.

Gage and I have never fought like that.

I know I annoyed him a little bit, but I didn't realise that it was that bad.

The white porcelain sink was now covered with blood and tissues as I tried to stop the bleeding.

He has a good punch, I'll give him that.

My jaw had a decent sized bruise on it and every time I talked, it hurt. I placed the ice pack onto my cheek and closed my eyes, rubbing the bridge of my nose.

I heard the door creak open and I sighed, "If you're here to give me a lecture, now is not the time. I don't feel like getting yelled at today."

"Good thing I'm on your side then." A sweet voice said.

My muscles relaxed when I realised it was Dakota.

"Hey." I said.

She winced, "Eesh, that looks bad." She giggled, bringing her hand up to my face. She stroked my cheek and I leaned into her touch, "Here, sit down. Let me take care of you."

I did what she said and sat down on the toilet, her soft hands holding the ice pack against my throbbing cheek.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm completely on your side." She added. I smiled, "I get where Gage is coming from, but he's wrong, Riles."

I opened my eyes, my eyelids suddenly feeling heavy. 

"I can see the guilt swimming in your face. But I need you know, that none of what he said is true, okay? You're a good person. He was just speaking out of anger, he didn't mean it." Her voice was like sugar, sweet and addicting.

I shrugged, "I don't know. What if he's right?" I mumbled.

"Which part then, hmm?"

"All of it. What if I am selfish and ungrateful-"

"-But you're not." She cut me off, "You're forgiving-" She took the ice pack away, "And kind-" Placing each of her legs on either side of me, "And you always know the right thing to say."

I could feel her breath on my lips as her arms hooked around my neck, "Most of the time." She added. I smiled.

I looked down at her pink lips, then going back up to her eyes. "Your eyes are like diamonds." I whispered, hooking a strand of hair behind her ear, "Yours are like a forest. Deep and safe."

Her hands found their way to my face as one of her hands stayed on my good cheek and the other stayed on my neck.

"You have no idea how amazing you are." Her voice was so quiet, I could barely hear it.

Our eyes were locked now, both of us daring to look someplace out. I could see her having an argument in her head and smiled. Her tongue darted out to moisten her lips and I leaned in closer so our foreheads were touching.

She sucked in a breath and it was then I chose to kiss her.

Her lips on mine felt like the whole world had stopped moving. Like it was just us two on the planet. 

She felt like honey and coconut with a hint of lemon. She smelled like vanilla and tasted like strawberries and cream.

Her breath hitched and I felt her start to kiss me back, her fingers travelling around my back.

I pulled her closer to me, my hands exploring her waist.

I bit her bottom lip, earning a gasp which granted me access to the inside of her mouth. Our tongues danced for dominance before I took over, groaning at the feeling of her hands in my hair.

The back of her shirt rose up and I could feel her hot skin against my fingertips, brushing the nooks and crannies that were hidden on her back.

She moved to my jaw and I moved her hair out of the way, pulling the strands through my fingers before I was welcomed back to her lips.

"We- need to stop." She breath out, "Mhm, we should." But neither of us stopped.

"Before we get caught." She sighed, "Yeah- agreed."

"Too late." A new voice cut us off.

We broke apart.

My eyes widened as I saw who stood in the doorway. Pulling Dakota behind me and grabbing my gun from my pocket, I aimed it at Mason.

"Put the gun down Indiana Jones I'm not going to hurt you." Mason said, rolling his eyes. 

"Sorry for assuming." I hissed, still holding the gun firmly in my hands.

"Kid, put the gun down before I do hurt you." He said.

I hesitantly placed it in my pocket, making sure to put it on safety before I let it rest there.

"How did you get in here?" I asked, peering down the hallway, "Elle and her boytoy are out back, it was easy to sneak in. You guys really should be more careful." He smirked, an evil glint in his eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Nothing really, I just wanted to talk."

"We talked, goodbye now." I seethed.

"Woah woah, slow your roll there, I'm not finished."

"Why are you here, Mason? Was Elle not clear the first time when she shot you and left you to drown?" I yelled.

I felt Dakota grip my hand and I squeezed her back, letting her know she was safe.

Mason walked up to me, he gripped my throat and looked me dead in the eye, "I'd be careful how you speak me to me unless you want your right side looking like your left." He hissed, referring to my face.

I glared at him, catching my breath when he finally lets me go.

"Look buddy, we're neighbours. I just wanted to stop by and say... welcome to the neighbourhood."

He looked around before his eyes went back to me, "Have a good rest of your day." He winked.

I watched his retreating body as he walked out of the house and closed the door.

"That wasn't as... cryptic as I thought it was going to be." Dakota said, emerging from behind me.

"Do you know who Indiana Jones is?" She asked me. I shrugged, "No idea."

She smirked again, closing the bathroom door, "Right, now where were we?" 

* * * 

uh oh *cackles*

masons back...?