three

Riley Murphy
2048

I was paired with Dakota for this inventory round.

Gage is a good wingman I guess. He winks at me when we get assigned out duties and I roll my eyes, subtly pulling the finger at him from behind his back.

"Now you have your walkie?" Dee nodded, "Your gun?" More nods, "You have water, food and extra bullets right?" Elle stressed, looking between me and Dakota a thousand times.

She checked the boot of the car at least 6 times and counted our bullets 4 times. I love this woman but man she stresses!

I reassure her, "We'll be fine. We'll signal if we need you okay? I promise. Love you."

Gage pulled me aside, "You're gone for 12 hours today bro. Make moves... kiss her, maybe try to be a man for once." He laughed. I punched him in the gut and he hunched over in pain, "I'll miss you too bro."

Elle kissed us goodbye, giving me a stern look. I gave Gage and everyone else a fist bump before jumping into the jeep. Starting the engine, I buckled in and waved through the window.

Before we started out 4 hour drive to Ottowa... Canada.

After the whole 'America is infested with zombies' thing, we decided it be best if we regroup in Canada, and here we are... in Canada!

It hate driving on hot summers day. Quebec gets the blazing sun so my ass sticks to the leather seats. But the sun was out and Dakota had her head out the window with her hair flailing back like some graceful dog. She looked so beautiful!

"Hey are we almost there?" She asked me, a half hour into the drive.
"Yes." I lied. Her eyes lit up and then she frowned when she saw my face, "Don't be mean. I'm bored."

I chucked her a book, "Read."

She chucked it into the backseat, "I would, but I get sick if I read in the car." I rolled my eyes, "It's not my fault, I inherited it from my mother." She smiled, her smile fading.

We were quiet for a while, then I realised she fell asleep after I had a whole conversation with her and she didn't reply! Then Dee woke up and offered to drive, and I don't say no to opportunities like that.

When I woke up again, we had passed the sign for Ottowa and I was happy to say, "Can we get out of the car?"

She looked startled by my voice, but stopped the engine.

We pulled onto the side of the road and I jumped out, stretching my muscles. My shirt rode up a bit and I felt the burning heat scold my skin. Once I had finished stretching, I noticed that Dakota was too... I promise I wasn't staring. But if she stretches like that I'll probably have a heart attack.

She's wearing denim shorts that go to her mid thigh, a plain grey top, white socks and some beaten up converse. She was casual, I like it.

I strapped my gun into my side and slid a knife in my pocket, shifting it so it rested comfortably and didn't freaking stab me while I walked!

"You ready?" Dakota asked, smiling at me. I nodded.

We scanned the area. Elle made us a list. We were on accessories and non-food items. So things like toilet paper, towels and conditioner.

"Man it is so hot." Dee panted, fanning herself with her hand. I shrugged, completely drenched only wearing my black shirt and khaki pants.

"I hate summer sometimes." She sighed.

Agreeing with her, I pushed open a shop. A bell dinged above it and I flinched. Sound always attracts something. I felt Dakota's hand on my shoulder and relaxed a little bit, "It's okay, we can handle it."