-XIII-

Amber screamed, why had that happened? WHY? She clutched onto Marshall, as he lay unconscious on the ground, blood pouring out of his chest

Amber screamed, why had that happened? WHY? She clutched onto Marshall, as he lay unconscious on the ground, blood pouring out of his chest. She was calling for help, yet nobody heard her. Nobody was around, all the victims had ran at the opportunity of them leaving.

The events, replayed in her head. Why did she have to stand up for them? Why couldn't she of just stayed hidden with Marshall? Why did he have to run in front of her as they shot? Did he care about her that much?

The paramedics soon enough came swarming in, trying to help him. One paramedic, pushed Amber to the back of the shop, and they put him onto a stretcher and put him into an ambulance.

She wiped the tears off of her face, and watched his body being dragged away. Was Marshall dead? He couldn't be.. She rushed forward, and ran towards the ambulance, but it was already driving away, flashing and sirens booming.

Once she reached the hospital, she ran to the main desk frantically. She scanned and analysed the rooms, before speaking. "Is- Marshall Mathers here?" She asked, tears spilling from her eyes.

The woman at the desk looked up from  her glasses worriedly, as she scanned through the computer for him. She smiled, once she had found his name. "He is undergoing surgery at the moment, but it's alright to wait in his room- what's your relation to him?" She questioned her, as she wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

"I-I'm his... girlfriend." Amber lied, as she watched the woman nod. "Very well, room 313, up the hall." Trying to smile, Amber followed her directions and tried to find the room.

Eventually, she came across a bronze coloured, wooden door. There was a white, clear sign with "313" written on the door. She didn't have to knock, she knew the room was supposed to be empty. Sighing, she took a seat on the royal blue chair, and waited.

How could she be his bodyguard, if she had left him get hurt so easily? Thoughts like this were circling through her head. Maybe it was best, he hired someone else. But first, she wanted to make sure he was doing alright, she wanted to make sure he was alive.

Within an hour or so, Marshall was wheeled into the room. He wasn't conscious, but he wasn't unconscious either. The doctor, turned to face Amber, his expression serious. "Mr Mathers, has lost a lot of blood, and if we didn't come when we did he may not of made it. He should be able to come out in the next couple of days under close surveillance, but he is going to have to rest for at least two weeks." Nodding, Amber walked towards Marshall, as soon as the doctor left the room.

All the blood that was recently splattered on his chest had been cleaned up. His eyes, were slightly open, but he had a lot of tubes connected to him. "Marshall.." Amber whispered, stroking his face with her palm.

He slowly smiled, but winced at the pain he was still having to endure. "I'm so so sorry." She sobbed, as her tears reached the floor. Marshall moved his arm, not very easily, and stroked her hair.

His hands were weak and pale, and so was his face. "It's not your fault." He managed to muster out, but all Amber did was shake her head. "No it is- if only I stayed back there.. you wouldn't of had to do that." She mumbled, reaching for a tissue on his nightstand.

Before Amber could say anything else, there was a knock at the door. She noticed how, puffy and red her face looked in the reflection of the window. She then rose from her seat, and opened the door. There standing at the door were a woman and a daughter, she recognised them as Kim and Hailey.

Kim glanced at Amber with a questionable glance, it was clear she had no idea who she was. Kim's hair, was flowing down her shoulders, and she wore a white jacket, and a shirt and pants. Hailey, was standing next to her mother, gripping onto the bag her mother was holding. She had her brown hair in bunches, and was wearing a pink plaid dress.

"Who are you?" She questioned Amber, as if on instinct, Amber held out her hand. "Hi.. I work for Marshall." She said politely, gathering a small smile for the two of them. She nodded bluntly, not exactly caring.

"Can you please wait outside," she directed Amber. Amber didn't really want to listen to the instructions of this woman, but in a situation like this she had to listen. She slowly nodded, and walked outside the room and sat on some cream waiting chairs.

Kim glanced down at Marshall's face, even she didn't know what had exactly happened to him. All she was aware of is that he got shot. Tears were spilling from Hailies eyes, it really pained her seeing her father in such a critical condition.

Kim tried to reassure her daughter, that he was going to be alright. She told her, that her father was just sick, but he was getting better. Hailey stroked her fathers hand, she was only seven yet she expressed her emotions as of a fully grown adult.

She was well aware, that her mother and father weren't on 'solid ground', but even so it made her content to see her parents civilly talking together. She'd always hoped that they could one day, rekindle their relationship. But either way, she was grateful to have two loving parents.

Amber, watched as Kim left the room, Hailey clutching her hand tightly. Instead of heading for the exit of the hospital, they headed directly towards her. She didn't seem especially happy, yet she didn't seem mad- just neutral.

She smiled at Amber as she approached, her smile was clearly fake, but why was she putting it on? She took a seat next to her, Hailey sitting on her knee. "What exactly happened to Marshall?" She asked especially sweetly, a thick tone of arrogance in her voice.

She wasn't going to lie to Kim, and she wasn't going to ignore her either. She deserved to know the truth, he was her ex husband after all. So doing the right thing, Amber explained everything to her, leaving out some parts, like when they kissed.

She listened intently to everything Amber said, clearly taking it all in. Only after, had Amber finished talking had she commented. "I have heard of you, I saw the interview." She said, the ending of her sentence in evident spite.

She sighed, she didn't have to explain herself anymore to Kim. Instead of replying, Amber just stood up and walked back to Marshall's room, locking the door behind her. To her surprise, Marshall was now propped up in his bed, and was slowly coming around.

He smiled his eyes lazy, as soon as she entered the room. "Where did you go?" He curiously asked, his voice still quite raspy. She contemplated on being honest or lying. She chose the latter. "I was just getting a drink from the vending machine.." she lied, taking a seat on the familiar blue chair.

He slowly nodded, "You were gone a while.." he sounded like he didn't believe her entirely, so she had to make her story better. "Oh- the machine ate my coin and didn't give me a drink. So I had to go find help." He nodded, he looked like he trusted her a bit more now. After all, why would she lie to him?

"But anyways... how're you feeling now?" She asked, trying to divert the conversation in another direction. Marshall rubbed his head, and smiled at her. "As good as I could, for a man who's just been shot." He joked, at least he wasn't too down.

She giggled, but really she was just pitying herself. She would never forget what he did for her, but she still didn't know why he did what he did. "Marshall, why exactly did you jump in front of that bullet for me?" She asked him, staring at him intently.

He smiled, "Wouldn't you jump in front of a bullet for someone you love?" She looked at him, sure he was kidding around.

"Funny Jo-"

He interrupted her, "And I'd do million more times."

What?!

(It was so painful to write this chapter- Marshall, you almost died).