chapter forty

Gabriel had done it again. With tears in Iyila's eyes, she watched the dark green liquid quickly spread through her dress, ruining it by its stay. Shocked, she saw how the liquid changed the fabric from yellow to brown. She knew her dress was gone, the new dress Miss Susan had given to her only yesterday was ruined by the very own man she had grown to respect. She rose her gaze to meet his frown and blazing eyes. She had tried to dodge when he threw the cup of liquid at her but haven't expected any of it, she was not quick enough. All his ill-treatment, she had tagged as frustration because she had witnessed the good part of him, but today was a very peculiar day.

She was tired of giving excuses for his harsh treatment, she was tired of the misery he did not hesitate to put her in. Today she was willing to smack his face and she did with so much venom and anger that his expression didn't hide his feelings. He was amazed.

"Not ever again will you ungrateful, ill-mannered, arrogant, spoilt, frustrated man treat me as dirt again. Not after praying for your recovery and taking care of you."

"Woman you dared lay your palm on my face!" his voice was calm but held so much threat. "And I would do it again," she threatened.

"What do you consider yourself as, huh? A god perhaps to treat us negroes as though we have no dignity? Would you treat your mother or Collete like this? She tearily demanded in between her teeth 

"Would you hurl a cup of smelling potion at them you heartless man. This dress_" she wiped her face and continued, "it was given to me by your mother. It is the only decent clothing I have and it made me glad to wear it, yet you ruined the only thing I have when you have a closet full of clothes you cannot count."

She held the dress in her grip as though mourning it, she was also crying.

"I believed you were a different man, so I prayed to God so he would save you even when I had decided to forsake him. I did so because I felt you saw me as a human being__as__as a person, you even told me."

She paused and chuckled, "but pardon my foolishness for thinking highly of you. You are nothing but a miserable White!"

Gabriel was at a loss for words and he felt his eyes would jump out for the amazement he felt. No woman had ever succeeded to hit him, he had always been fast enough to catch their hand before the palm touched his face, but Iyila had succeeded. And her words stroke him like lightening. He didn't detest her. He just couldn't accept his state, being completely dependable.

He cleared his throat to speak, but she did before he could open his mouth.

"I do not care if you report my insolence to your mother or father or even the animal you call a brother."

Her tone had changed. "I do not care if I am tied to a tree and whipped to my death. I would be more than glad if my misery is put out since I am too cowardly to aid myself. You may go ahead and call for your family, I am waiting for death." she said and rushed out crying.

Gabriel was not offended by her words, in fact, he was impressed by her agility. She was stronger than he had imagined and everything she said with the slap made him feel human again. It made him feel alive, he was already tired of everybody treating him like a spoilt child or considering him weak and frail. But Iyila's slap had told him she still saw him as the man he was, it gladdened his heart. Smiling, he rubbed the place she had slapped. She was interesting in all manner of ways.

Gabriel's fever had resumed. The doctor said he was healing, but Gabriel didn't feel that way. Sometimes the thought of death scared him but he always managed a brave smile. One night while everyone was asleep, the fever came and he couldn't sleep. It was already midnight and the room was quite warm. The light in the room was very dim since the flame of the lantern was reduced. He could barely see anything but when he looked down, he saw Iyila sleeping on the floor. He paused to stare at her, she was wrapped like a baby and snoring slightly. Their relationship was still strained after he ruined her dress, but he knew she wanted an apology which he wasn't ready to give.