chapter forty one

"Are you set," Iyila asked as she slowly stroked his arm. Gabriel chuckled, he wasn't, but he didn't have a choice either. "Go ahead," he replied and looked away, hoping that the pain wouldn't hurt so badly. She sighed and slowly stretched his hand. "One, two, three and___" she pulled.

"Jesus Christ," he barked and swallowed, then he closed his eyes and tried not to feel the pain, but it was inevitable. "Are you set to go again."

"Yes," he replied after trying to settle his heaving chest. "Ok," she told him and pulled it again, but with more energy than before.

Gabriel couldn't bear the pain, he grabbed the sheet and locked his eyes.

"You will be better in only a matter of days," she quietly said as she began to massage his arm. He couldn't wait any further. He was left handed and he wished the cursed horse had broken his right hand instead of his left. It was as if he was a baby who was learning how to use its hands.

"Are you alright?" she asked. He abruptly turned to her. Was it not obvious that her actions were killing him?

"I know when I am mocked," he quickly told her.

She giggled, "What gave you the impression that I am mocking you," she questioned.

"That simper on your face."

"What simper?" she feigned ignorance.

However, he caught the hint that she was trying to tease him. On a normal day, he would enjoy the joke, but not when his arms felt like it was stretched above its limit.

"Enough Liya ," he seriously answered.

"Can you not take a joke?"

"I would have if my arm was not broken. It is easy to joke when you are not the person in pain," he said as he leaned on the piled pillows.

"Then what must I do to make you feel better, just tell me," she kindly offered.

He stared at her as he pondered her offer. The close by lantern made it easier for him to capture the smile on her face and how beautiful it made her. So much had been going through his mind these past few weeks they had spent together. Conversing - arguing mostly - and fixing his broken bone. Some things had changed. He could easily walk and freely move about without feeling strained or weak. Beside the visible change his respect for Iyila had increased. Although he had always seen her above the rags she wore, but the night they had spent together had changed his opinion of her, and about women he so desperately wished to loathe.

"Liya you have been very good to me. You have taken care of me as though I was your kind even when I gave you nothing but scorn. I am grateful yet confused by your actions," he rasped.

He noticed her demeanour quickly change and she seemed rattled by his observation. Her eyes uneasily darted to the lantern, as if to consult for an answer, before it moved him to.

"It is my duty to do so sir," she shyly said with a chuckle. He saw that she was shaking twisting her fingers.

"Oh!" he murmured, and nodded.

"Yes, sir," she answered with her eyes on the floor. But Gabriel regretted asking the question. A part of him felt disappointed as though he was hoping she would say something different. Perhaps she could have said that she cared, but he wasn't a man to be rattled by the words of a woman. Anne had taught him better and he quickly scolded himself for hoping for the best.

"It is very nice of you to diligently execute your duty Liya. My father is honoured to have you as his," he replied in a formal tone. Iyila quickly rose her gaze to him while wondering why his mood had changed, but she said nothing.

"That may be all for now Liya, I wish to rest and I advise you do same," he said already closing his eyes but they weren't fully closed. He could still see her surprised expression and shock before she sighed.

"Ok then, have a pleasant night rest," she cheerfully told him. He didn't reply, but pretended that he was already fast asleep. He saw her stretch her hand to the lantern and reduced its flame before she removed her gown. Yet even with the dim light he could see her broad hips that seemed to be growing by the day. He knew it was improper, but he was no gentleman. He remained awake until she was snoring before he opened his eyes to stare down at her exhilarating physique. Something was happening to him. Something that his will couldn't restrain.

Because every night he told himself that he wouldn't steal glances at her. But midnights were the times he hoped for. The time he would uninterruptedly view her whole body and appreciate God for it. He smiled as he stared at her. What he felt was greater than lust, but the name was still unknown to him.

"I am amazed by your recovery Gabriel, the doctor's potion was really effective. Look at you my son, you are alright," Susan gasped as she stared at Gabriel from head to toe. Gabriel gave Iyila who was standing behind his mother a knowing, smile. Only the two of them knew that the secret of his recovery was based on her skills and knowledge. But Iyila had insisted that he kept it a secret. She longed for no adoration or praise. Seeing him healthy and whole was more than she could wish for.

"I think I shall recommend Dr. Israel to everyone I know. He indeed is a remarkable and talented fellow, oh my son,:" she said as she pulled him into another warm embrace. Iyila smiled at him, but he wished she could also be thanked for watching him. Nevertheless he didn't expect such humility from any member of his family.

"Oh Gabriel," she murmured and stood on her toes to kiss his cheek. "But are you sure you are fit to go out?" she wearily asked him. Like before he nodded, but he saw the displeasure and fear on her face. She had repeated that same line more than ten times, even more.

He laughed, "Mother you need not worry, I only need to stretch my knee, I feel very cramped and tight."

"Are you sure?"

"I am not a child mother," he whispered already feeling embarrassed because Iyila was busily giggling.

"Then I will ask one of the negros to aid you and__."

"No!" he snapped. "I pray thee, mother, trust me," he said already walking away before she could find any possible excuse to stop him from riding that morning.

He felt better, fit and sound. He was more than ready to fly.

"What about your head? Your headache might resume and__" she sighed. He was already out. Iyila smiled at her and Susan did same. Iyila wondered if she was also capable of showing such love.

"Thank you Lilah, for taking care of him all these months," Susan said. With a smile Iyila nodded.

"This means you no longer need to sleep here. You may return to your quarters, obviously my son is perfect and capable," Susan announced and again Iyila nodded but not with a smile. Slightly bowing for Susan, she left for her quarters. She felt shocked and afraid. More than two weeks she had been by Gabriel's side. She had never imagined life alone without him. She had never thought of not hearing his snores, or seeing his broad chest. When she opened the door, the room was empty and her mattress was neatly folded. Slowly she walked inside and sat on the bare floor. Tears she couldn't explain threatened to spill.

She had already grown fond of him. She didn't know what she could do. Iyila quickly buried her face in her palms. She didn't know letting go could be so hurtful and she didn't know why she felt so. Raising her head up to see the ceiling, she wondered if he would also feel and miss her absence. Something told her he wouldn't.

Authors note; Read, comment and vote