15

Mateo

"I'm nervous." I breathe out as Malik my dad and I wait in the lobby of the building.

Everyone in our Mafia is waiting in their limos outside.

You must show up together, the don, his wife, their kids, the underboss, his wife and kids, the consigliere, his wife and kids, must be the first to enter. The underboss and also decoy boss is my uncle Frankie. His wife, who's my mom's best friend, and their son, Geno, will be behind us. I'm the consigliere so it doesn't matter where I stand, I still have to be in front. Everyone else will be behind us. Once we're in we can split off, until dinner.

"you'll be fine. I don't know why you're nervous." dad shrugs, fixing my bow tie.

"Because this is the first Gala Nyla will be coming to." I sigh.

"look at me." I look ahead at my dad, into his blue eyes. Our features almost uncanny. "there's no need to be nervous. Nothing ever goes wrong and it's not like Nyla is an outsider. You're fine, figilo." he slaps my cheek before going back to stand beside me.

I watch the number to the elevator slowly countdown. I fidget with my pocket watch as I feel my heart start racing. I bet she's gonna look so beautiful.

The number finally hits 1 and I watch the door open.

My eyes fall on the most beautiful human to ever walk into my life. A smile erupts on my face and I feel myself become a kid who just opened the best Christmas gift on earth.

"My god, you're so beautiful." I breathe out going up to Nyla.

"you're so handsome." she looks me up and down. My all-black suit with a red bow tie. My hair slicked back with a small curl falling onto my forehead.

"come on children, we have to be fashionably late." mom says.

"she takes these Gala's very seriously. My parents always have to show up the other Don's and their wives," I tell Nyla as we walk out, our arms hooked around each other.

"I can tell. Your mom was very serious upstairs." she chuckles.

I look at her and watch her head turn and smile up at me.

"you're so beautiful."

___________________

"Ladies and Gentlemen, The Giacomo-Ortega Crime Family!"

The doors open and we walkthrough.

All the heads turn and look at us. We never pay attention, we look around for one family and one family only. The Borya Family. The only Russian-American Crime Family.

But this time they're smart. They're a no-show. Unless they're late.

We go over to our table, sitting down.

Across from us is the Kastros Crime family.

"that's Arsenio there," I tell Nyla. I told Nyla about Arsenio and how odd it was he just showed up out of nowhere.

"is that his girlfriend?" she asks.

I look beside him and see a random blond girl holding his hand.

"that is not his girlfriend. His girlfriend is black," I say confused.

"oh," Nyla whispers.

Arsenio looks up and around. We make eye contact and with my eyes, I gesture to the blond girl beside him. He shakes his head looking down. In a second I feel my phone vibrate.

"she just showed up. My dad said she's my date. I don't like her at all." the text says.

"to make it worse. My girlfriend is here because of her family. They're military." he sends after