Wolf Trainer-Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Into the Woods

There weren't many thorns, so I could easily avoid them. After seeing the layer of fog, almost mist, layered across my feet like icing on a cake, I rememered that it rained not too long ago. Today it was eerie in the woods. I felt like I was being watched. Like two eyes were gleaming on my, watching the breath escape my mouth and the pieces of hair that lifted slowly with the wind. But, what was it that was watching me? Was it a squirrel or a bird, or was somebody out in the woods? No, I'm just being paranoid now. Still, I didn't want to look around and catch it's attention more, whatever it was. So I just kept walking, I was to afraid to turn around and go back because I knew it was behind me. 

Then I stepped on a branch and gasped. I stood still and heard steady breathing, that of an animal, not a human. What am I to do know, I thought while trying my best not to breathe. My feet wanted to stay still and so did my heart, but my mind still told me to walk. My legs felt like bricks, being pulled down after being picked up. I made myself keep walking. Whatever it may be, it will do anything it can, rather that may be run or attack. It is its own leader, not me. And soon I'll come to a river. So it's either that, or turning around, I thought to myself. 

So, I stopped again, and I could still hear the same breathing the same length away, meaning it was following me. I crossed my fingers, clinched my eyes and teeth, and held my breath again. Then I quickly turned. The breath I was holding in came out. Loudly. I opened my eyes but still had my hands crossed. I relaxed my jaw slowly and slightly. I glanced around and then I heard one leaf move... Right beside of me. I moved my head the slowest I could possibly do. Breathe, I told myself. 

I closed my eyes but turned my head. Then, after a moment, I opened them halfway. What I saw amazed me. Am I dreaming, I thought to myself. It doesn't fell like a dream or look like one. Oh no, this can't be a dream. My dreams are fuzzy, this is to vivid and clear and... too real. 

My eyes were completely opened by now. All the crazy thinking had caught me off track and I hadn't realized I opened them. I held my breathe for about the twentieth time as my body jerked into a shock mode where I couldn't move. It sniffed me slowly and took a step forward. I took a step back. Then it jumped down on it's belly with it's but stuck up in the air. Wagging his tail, he opened he's mouth in what seemed like a... Smile? I took another step back. ''Wolf...'' I murmured out loud. His tongue hung out of his smiling mouth. He had a light pink tongue, pointed canine teeth, large eyes, gray fluffy fur, a long tail, long legs, large paws... And huge claws. I stared at his huge claws until all of a sudden he jumped up to his paws and ran past me to a tree, ran around the tree, and then came back to me. He stood right in front of me. 

''What are you doing? And why are you here?'' I said in my normal voice. The wolf only panted. ''Are you being friendly?'' I asked the wolf. Then he jumped up. Very skeptically, I slowly put my hand out and he quickly ducked his head and nudged my hand. 

At first I didn't know that he was trying to go up under my hand, I thought he was going to attack so I jerked back. ''Do you understand Me?'' I asked as if he could talk. Ha, I thought, talking wolf. Mhmm.

''Of course, you are a friend now.'' The sound came from the wolf. 

I jumped back ''BWAH! What!? You -wolf- can talk... You really are mutated!"

''I'm nice!'' He said as he made a look that made him smile. 

''What's your name?'' I asked, believing this had to be a dream. I didn't care how fuzzy my other dreas had been, maybe my creativity just got better. Maybe I can see things more vividly from now on... In all my dreams. That had to be it. Had to.

He stared at me confused. ''I... I don't know. I was born a Different, as the wolves up in the North call being born mutated. I was cast out at 4 weeks old, so I traveled. The just called me Different.'' He looked down and then up at me. It looked like he was crying. One tear. Another tear. And another one. 

''Well you are different. Everyone is different. That is what sets us apart from others. I think you are nice and cool just the way you are. And Hey, I will name you. What names do you like?'' I asked. 

''I don't know. I've no idea. No one liked me in my pack so I don't like their names.'' He said as he looked down once more. 

''Well let's give you a completely unique name. So how about... Anjoo. Do you like it?'' I asked him kindly with a smile.

''Yes, what is your name... Master?'' He said as he looked at me with another silly smile. 

''Not Master, my name is Samantha. Do wolves have last names? I asked. 

''Our last name is the name of our pack. If you are a lone wolf then you have the last name Lone.'' He said staring at me with eyes that were about to start tearing up. 

''Then your last name will be my last name, Stone. I am Samantha Stone, your... your trainer and you are Anjoo, my pet and my best friend.'' I said as I slowly bent down to rub him. I was still a little frightened and paranoid. 

''And I will be your protector, nothing and no one shall hurt you.'' He said looking around like he was a watchout for his army mates. 

''Well in the woods, but I guess I will be here a lot with you. You see we go to school, us humans, and pets aren't allowed, including you.'' I said looking him straight in his bright yellow eyes. 

''You humans are confusing, I say.'' Anjoo said while looking at a tree. 

''Everyday we can meet down at the creek.'' I said proudly, thinking that would be a good place. 

''OK.'' He said with eyes still stuck on the tree. Then I heard rustling and Anjoo took off. 

''Wait!'' I called out. I heard running, then it stopped. Then I could hear Anjoo panting. The rustling began again and soon I saw Anjoo come from around the tree. He had something in his mouth. I squinted to see it. When he came close I could see a yellow squirrel n his mouth. Yellow squirrels were rare but delicious. 

''Instinct.'' He said as he dropped the squirrel in front of me. 

''Those are rare! But very good when cooked.'' I exclaimed. 

''Cooked?'' Anjoo said as he cocked his head. 

''Humans use heat to cook food, if we eat raw meat like you wolves we get sick and could die.'' I explained. 

''Then I think I will eat this.'' He said as he started at the belly of the yellow squirrel. 

Then I heard my door to the house open. ''Honey, supper time.'' I heard mom call. 

''OK! Be there in a minute!'' I called back out. 

''Who's that?'' He said alarmed. 

''It's OK it my mom. I have to go eat my food. See you tomorrow and go to the creek about the time I met you here today.'' 

''Ok.'' I started to walk off until I heard him say. ''What are you having?'' 

''I think it is chicken legs, which is a certain part of a chicken cooked, and mashed potatoes which is raw potatoes you grow, mashed up and cooked.'' I replied. 

''OK see you tomorrow.'' He said. 

''Actually, I will come back out in a bit meet me here, I will let you try it.'' I said while still looking at him. 

''Alright.'' Anjoo said as I turned and walked off.