Wolf Trainer- Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Flashback

My body was freezing. That's the first thing my mind registered when I woke up. Light tried to burn passed my eye lids, but I kept them clenched tight. I felt like my head was ready to bust any second now, as the throbbing headache sent pulses of pain between my temples. The crunching of leaves close by grabbed my attention.

Shit, I thought, over and over again. The sound of other beings near me had made me realize what had happened. Shit. I needed this headache to go away, I needed my eyes to open, and I needed to go find the others.

I gasped as the brightness of the sun filtered into sight. This only made my headache ten times worse. Placing one hand on the ground, I slowly pushed myself into a sitting position. When I moved my hand, I noticed a small cricket resting on the tip of my finger.

Something was out of place as I stared at the it. Just as I was about to flick it off, it hopped up my arm. My eyes followed the tiny bug from one place to another. And that's when I realized what was amiss. I was not a wolf, I was a human. Somewhere along the way, I'd returned to my natural form. Once again, shit. No wonder I was so cold when I woke.

Closing my eyes once more, I tried not to think about the headache. Instead, I focused on being a wolf. Just as I could feel my heart rate slowing, a menacing chuckle emanated from behind me. My eyes snapped open, and I jerked my head around. Just as I thought, Regial was stalking around the trees behind me. "Looks like the rumor of Sarah being a Transitope was correct. And it also seems that you were human before being a wolf. So why are you a wolf?" He growled the last part.

Even though I thought it best to stay speechless, I couldn't. I just wasn't the type of person to back down, even if I knew I could be killed. Maybe if I were in high school I could win a fight, but against big wolves who know how to use their wolf abilities better than me, I was bound to lose. "That's none of your concern," I spat back, turning around fully.

If Regial wasn't a wolf, then I wouldn't have the audacity to turn around. Seeing as I just turned from wolf to human, I was bare. Yes, I mean I am naked. It would be great to change back into human form with clothes, but nothing is ever simple, it seems. "I guess it isn't of my concern," He shrugged his rigid shoulders effortlessly before rounding a skinny tree that he had been partially behind. Dang, this wolf knew how to intimidate others. "Since, after all, today will be your last."

His eyes glinted with evil amusement as his lips curled back into a snarl. I'd come to realize this look as a smile. This was no ordinary smile though, this was an evil smile. Along with his bewildered eyes and sharp fangs, he was sure to be head of all wolves around these parts. "So, that's how it is, huh? You pick out the ones you know you can fight, just to look strong. You think you're brave for killing off the weak?"

"I could pick out anyone and fight them, you human. I'm so strong, that everyone is weak to me."

"Of course they are weak to you, have you seen the size of your pack?!" I shouted, my voice on the verge of outrage.

At my outburst, he only chuckled. "Stand," He commanded, glaring at me with his almost black eyes. I didn't want to follow his orders, really. But standing might be my only chance for survival.

As he took a step forwards, I took a step back. My face portrayed that of an innocent, scared for her life girl. And it was all for my plan. The steps continued until my back was placed against the tree, it's rough bark scratching at my back. This was going to hurt a lot when I try to climb. Once again, he chuckled at me, seeing my fake I'm-going-to-die face. Making it look as real as possible, I flinched and looked up. Perfect, there was a sturdy tree limb just above my head that I could use.