Life as a Vampirette Part 4

Scarlett and I talked as I flew up high enough so no human could see us from the ground.

"Maybe, instead of going to Los Angeles, we should try to find a small town near one of the big cities so we could live there and hunt in the city. " Scarlett suggested.

"Oh." I hadn't even thought about hunting and drinking from a human.

"Its hard, I know. But you have to tell yourself, we aren't doing it because of evil. We are doing it to ensure our survival. "

"Yeah, I know. It's all right. Don't worry about me." I paused. "Any idea where we are right now?"

"Uh, no. You're the one with the controls. Are we even heading towards America?"

"I don't know. I'm getting tired."

Scarlett gasped. " No wonder! You haven't even fed yet!"

"What?"

"I completely forgot you haven't fed! Go down now!" Scarlett ordered.

"Why?"

"Because you need to feed!"

"I don't, I'm just a little tired. But I can wait, it's ok." I didn't want to have to do this now, I wasn't ready.

" No. You have to feed. Else you'll lose your strength."

I slowed down and began descending.

" Anyway, now we can find out where we are." Scarlett chirped.

" Yeah, suppose."

Some fields were visible and soon we could clearly see the small scarecrow in the middle of one of the larger fields. I slowed down and landed gently in the tall grass a few metres away from one of the cows lying down in the soft green grass. My feet did the work as I slowed to a stop. Scarlett hopped off my back.

"Ok. This isn't one of the best places to land and ask for directions considering we're in the middle of no-where. "

" I know. But there's a farmhouse over there." I pointed to the small cottage like house to the corner of the field beside the one we were standing in.

" You know you should feed from the humans who live there."

"I wasn't even thinking of that. I just thought we could ask for directions."

" Well what am I going to say? I can't exactly say ' Hi, sorry to bother you but would you mind telling me what country I'm in and which direction America is?' "

" Don't you mean 'we'?"

" Well, I'll have to ask them first. Then you can come in. You'll frighten them though."

" What?"

" You won't be able to control yourself, like I said. You'll go mad and they will be scared. But we won't be cruel and tell them what we are first."

I looked at my feet. " How do you do it? Won't you have to teach me first?"

" No. You will know what to do. Your instincts will kick in."

" Okay." We reached the farmhouse within a second. I leapt onto the roof as Scarlett rang the bell of the house. We waited a while before the door opened. I smelled human immediately, my instincts knew it meant blood and I fought to control the feeling building inside me to kill and feed.

"Hello?" the old woman looked at Scarlett questioningly.

" Hello. I'm very sorry to disturb you at this time, but-"

" Are you lost, dear? You haven't run away from home have you?"

" No, No! We haven't. But can you tell me wh-"

" We? Is there someone else with you? Your parents?"

" No. Sorry. Slip of the tongue. I was just saying I was wondering if you could help me. Can you tell me where I am?"

" Pardon? "

" I just got a little confused with the maps on the way here after the bus ride, you know."

" Oh, I know dear. Clagmarah road."

" Oh. Where is that then?" Scarlett asked.

The woman looked confused. " County Antrim."

Scarlett bit her lip.

" Northern Ireland. I take it you're from England." she laughed. " You people don't know your geography. No maps of N.I. in your school?"

" No, there mustn't be." Scarlett stepped back as an old man appeared at the door behind the lady.

" Hello? Who are you?" the man looked at Scarlett.

" Georgie! Don't be so rude!"

Scarlett cleared her throat. " Sorry to disturb you. I have to go now. Goodbye."

" Oh, goodbye, then! Be careful."

Scarlett turned to leave as the old couple closed the door. I motioned to her to join me on the roof.

" They live on their own. There's no one else in any of the rooms I can see into, I checked."

" Okay."

" Do we have to kill them? They're an old couple. So frail and defenceless."

" I know. But all humans are. Because they're old should make you feel better because they've had a long life. I hate thinking like that but I have to. Vampires usually prey on younger people, teenagers mostly. Their blood is sweeter, fresh."

" Doesn't that bother you? We are teenagers too."

" It did at the start. I only drank from older adults. Their blood was less sweet, a little sour. But I learned to accept what I am and you will too. "

" I suppose." I gave her a half smile. I opened the window closest to me, it was the old couples bedroom.

Once again, a strong scent of two humans filled the air around me. I felt a power overtake me and a weird sensation in my eyes. I guessed that was them changing. I struggled to control the feeling. I wanted to stay human until the last moment. I spotted the two bodies in the double bed.

One stirred in their sleep. I climbed in through the window quietly and Scarlett followed. Then I walked slowly over to the bed where the sleeping bodies lay, unaware.

" Wake them first." Scarlett whispered so quietly no human could hear.

" Why?" I asked her in the same volume.

" It's easier."

I trusted her. Spotting an old alarm clock on the bedside table, I reached over and pressed the button marked "alarm". The sound rang out around the room. A groan came from one of the bodies in the bed and both stirred. Scarlett grabbed the mans arm when he stuck it out to turn the alarm off. She yanked him out of the bed as he gasped at her cool touch. The old woman in the bed sat up with a bewildered look on her face. Shocked, she leapt out of bed.

" It- its you! Get out!" The woman screamed, looking at Scarlett.

" Y-you can take all the money you want." The old man spoke in a firm voice. " Just don't hurt my wife."

" We don't want your money." Scarlett told them in a calm voice.

" What do you want?" The man asked, confused.

Scarlett looked at me and I knew what she meant. I moved closer to the woman while Scarlett took the mans other arm in her hand.

"Shh." I said as I held the struggling woman still and bent my head to slowly sink my teeth into her neck. I let the sweet liquid fill my mouth.