Part 9

"How old are you?" I asked as Jay nuzzled his face into my neck.

"18." was the reply

"No. I mean how long have you been a vampire?" I asked, turning around in his arms to face him.

"How long have you been a vampirette?"

"Why can't you just give a simple answer to a simple question for once in your life?" I asked, a smile playing on my lips.

He laughed. "Okay. Just over 3 years. What about you?" 

"I'm a newbie." I joked. "3 months."

"Seriously?" Jay gaped at me.

"Yeah... Blame Scarlett."

"Scarlett did it?" He questioned.

"Yes." 

"Tell me what happened?" 

"We were best friends before and-"

"Did you know she was a vampire?" He said, cutting me off.

I nodded. 

"What? Why the hell would she tell you when you were still a human?"

"Thanks." I said, looking away and acting hurt. "Maybe because she trusted me."

"Right, okay. Continue."

I looked back at his face which urged me on. I told him the rest of the story, including the bit about my mum visiting me in the funeral home, our final goodbye, and Scarlett digging me out of the grave.

"Do you still miss her a lot?"

"Of course I do." I was immediately flooded with guilt and a feeling of grief.

"It's okay." He soothed, hugging me tightly so my face was pressed against his cold hard chest. " We all had to make sacrifices..." He trailed off.

"Care to share?" I prompted, looking up into his shiny blue eyes.

"Not really." 

I was disappointed, but I didn't push any further. Instead, I planted a light kiss on his cheek. We had only been together a month, but already I knew my feelings for this boy was more than just puppy love.

Jay leaned down and kissed me softly on the mouth, moving his hands up to the back of my neck to pull me close.  I was enjoying the kiss when Scarlett walked into the hotel room. Turns out Mr Cerney didn't want to sell his old family home after all and pulled out of the sale last minute. Scarlett and I were disappointed, of course, but by then we had gotten used to the comfort of the hotel and so decided to stay here more permanently. I suited both of us pretty well. We were out most of the time anyway.

"Guys! Can you not?" I pulled away when I heard Scarletts voice behind me.

"Sorry." I said, giving her a sheepish smile.

"Ugh." Scarlet groaned and flopped down on the sofa. She looked frustated.

"What's wrong with you?" Jay asked.

"None of your business." She snapped.

"Hey!" I scolded.

"Oh shut up." She said.

"It's someone's time of the month!" Jay smirked and I turned around to glare at him. Jay was just trying to wind Scarlett up since he knew perfectly well that was impossible.

I leaned forward to whisper in his ear. " Can you give us a minute?"

"You mean make myself scarce." He whispered back, his breath tickling my neck. "Sure."