Life as a Vampirette Part 3

Scarlett closed the lid of the coffin behind me. I helped her cover it over again with soil using the spade she'd brought to the graveyard. I'd expected to be struggling with it but it was surprisingly light and easy to lift. I soon realised it was my new vampire strength that had made it feel so wieghtless. I ran my tongue over my fangs and it dawned on me that I hadn't looked at my new self in a mirror yet. a question ran through my mind then.

"We can see ourselves in mirrors, can't we?" I asked Scarlett.

"Half of those old myths aren't true. Yes, we can." she answered and I sighed with relief. I couldn't imagine a life without being able to see myself in a mirror and anyway, I wanted to see how much I'd changed since I'd become a vampirette. Although I wasn't entirely happy about it, I had to admit it was quite cool having super strength and super speed. When we had finished, Scarlett patted the pile of earth down with the back of her spade while I tried my new powers out. I ran to the furthest gravestone away and found I'd arrived there at incredible speed I estimated that took it had taken me about half a second. I went to a nearby tree at the end of the graveyard. Reaching up, I took hold of its thickest branch and pulled, trying to snap it off. It came off as easy as it would be for a human to snap a wooden tooth pick in two. The huge branch was about to fall on top of me but I slipped out of the way quickly before it could do so. The next instant Scarlett was standing beside me.

"Just trying out my new powers." I told her.

 She nodded knowingly. "And nearly killing a tree in the process, I see."

I smiled in response.

"Have you discovered your unique talent yet? As you already know, mine's hovering." She said, demonstrating by jumping up and landing on the air about 3 inches from the ground. She stood in mid-air  for a few seconds more before letting her feet land slowly on the grass below her.

"No." I said, disappointed.

"Try a few things then. Jump or climb or maybe your mind is where the talent is. See what happens." She suggested. I ran super-fast and then took a huge leap into mid-air. I started running again, looking ahead. The trees in front of me looked like they were falling. Then the sky was lowering and I was looking ahead at a collection of stars in the night sky. I was confused. I looked down to see no ground beneath me. I realised what was happening; I was flying! I stopped moving my legs and urged myself forward. I flew forward in the air. Next I tried and abrupt right turn. It worked! I flew in circles and did two graceful loop-the-loops before lowering myself easily back down next to Scarlett, who was staring at me in amazement.

"That's surely one of the best powers of them all. It beats my hovering a million times over! You luck thing!" She squealed.

"And I don't even have wings!" I smiled proudly.

"Do you think you'd be able to carry me while flying?"

" I don't see why not!" I motioned to my back and Scarlett climbed on and held on to my shoulders with her knees at my hips. I started into a graceful run and gradually quicked my pace. Soon I was in the air again.

"WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!" Scarlett screamed in excitement.

"Where to?" I asked her.

"America!!"

"Do you know how big America is?"

"Los Angeles, then!"

" As you wish" I smiled and flew further and higher into the cool night sky.