Science is Power

The phone rang. A slender hand picked it up.
"Yes," they said. "Do we have a participant?" They nodded to themselves and smiled. "Thank you, yes, see you shortly." They put the phone down and pulled on a pair of gloves. They pushed through a pair of double glass doors and entered a room with a boy sat in a chair. He was around 14, with curly blonde hair on his head. The woman smiled as she entered, and the boy smiled back.
"Are you ready?" She asked. The boy nodded. The woman picked up a needle with a red liquid inside, the colour of fire. She injected the serum and the boy took a long deep breath. Then he smiled and looked at his hands. They looked identical as before until he rubbed them together and snapped his fingers. Flames erupted from his hand and the woman took a step back. Even though she was afraid, she scribbled down notes on a clipboard and grinned.
It had worked.
The science had worked.
The elements could be injected and controlled, and even though many had passed to discover this, the doctors knew they had given their lives willingly to the cause.
And they had allowed the world to become a better place.
They had given science a meaning, given it power.
They had made science powerful, even more than before.
And now they could try even more. One element had worked, and now fire, water, air and earth were out in the world, for good or for evil. But what if science longed for more? What if it yearned for even more power?
The next tests would be not one element, but now two combined. You wouldn't need to be a hero to be powerful, you could get given the power for free. And if two worked, what about three, or even all four elements? All they had to do was wait.
The woman took the boy from the chair and ushered him out of the lab. She watched him leave with a smile on his face, and fire in his hands.
The young girl who had made all of this possible would be the first to try two elements. She may be the youngest of the testers, but she was the strongest. She had the will to control the powers and survive. She would become so powerful, so strong. The doctor saw the girl as a daughter, and didn't wish to put her in danger. She only allowed the girl to be tested because she felt, no, she knew, that the girl would prevail. Now that each element was in the world, it was time to combine them.
The woman re-entered the lab to see the young girl sitting in the chair. Water glided around her, the girl's hands moving gracefully through the air. The woman smiled again. She was always smiling at her control, her power.
"Are you ready?" She said. The girl giggled and nodded.
"Yes!"
The woman took another fire needle and gave it to the girl. She took in a deep breath and moved her hands, the water re-appearing. At least it was still there. Then the girl clapped her hands together and fire jumped between them. The girl grinned at the doctor.
"It worked!" She kept switching between the powers until, suddenly, she held fire in one hand, and water in the other. The woman stared, as did the girl.
It was incredible, not only the fact that two elements could be in one person, but they could control both simultaneously?
This girl truly was powerful, and how far she could go raced through the doctors head. She allowed the girl to rest in her room but the girl stayed up all through the night, playing with her new-found power.
She was powerful now, and she could save herself from the doctors. Only a few more years, then she could run, escape. She would be powerful.
She would be safe.