Dreams That Shatter

Deep in the lab, the girl with the powers of fire and water was held captive by that fear. She allowed herself to be controlled by it, and for so long, she eventually snapped. The doctors had decided to try the third element injection, and of course, the girl was the first tester. She let them give her the power, her dream to be free keeping her alive. Until she heard a doctor speak too loudly.
"She will be our life-long subject, sir. She is powerful, what else could she master with it?"
They were planning to keep her even after these tests.
The girl felt her dream shatter, and her willingness to escape drip from a river into a small stream, almost empty. Her elements consumed her, and she fell into a deep ocean of power and darkness. The black waters were streaked with reds and blues and whites and she felt herself falling deeper into the abyss. The light streaming in from the surface was getting fainter and smaller, as her dreams continued to break and crumble.

To the doctors, the girl was stuck in a coma, one she was very unlikely to wake from. She was left in a room with other comatose people; children, men and women alike. All suffering from the overwhelming power.

The girl sunk deeper but as she did, her powers grew. They sucked their life force from those around the girl, taking the power from others to keep her alive. The comatose patients came and went, and all gave the girl life to cling to. Gave their powers to hers. The girl started to be dragged up to the surface by her streams of power until she broke out of the water and shot up in her bed. Her eyes were pure black, and the girl's light brown hair was streaked with white. Fire was in her hands, and her hair floated around her head like a crown. Water was flowing from taps and wrapping around her arms as she passed, walking through the lab. Security tried to stop her, but the girl thrust her hand out and the guards were pinned to the wall with rocks.
Black, shadowed tendrils were streaming from her dark eyes and curled over her cheeks, her pale skin standing out against the deep colours.

The girl gasped as she was pulled from the waters, not with her power, but shadowy tentacles. They circled her waist and arms, lifting her up above the water. They conducted her like a puppet, stringing her along to their own merry tune. She struggled, but the shadows held fast, holding her in the air. Eventually the girl gave up, and went limp as the shadows moved her in the real world. She let them control her, and she knew she would never be free. Her dreams had crumbled and she let the shards fall out from her grasp.

She let them disappear out of her reach.

For once a dream is shattered, it takes more than another to build it back up.