12- hoco?

The next morning after Alexis, Big Red, and Ricky arrived at school, Alexis followed Ricky to his locker.

"How did things go with your mom?" She asked quietly.

"Better than I expected."

Alexis didn't push for details, she just nodded in response. He seemed content.

Ricky put away his things and then they walked across the hall to Alexis' locker. As she started to put her backpack in, Ricky changed the subject. "So.... yesterday. When I asked you if you were going to homecoming, you just laughed in response. Why?"

Alexis turned to face him. "Well, for one. I can't dance, at all. Me. At a school dance. Dancing. Yeah, no, not a chance."

"You wouldn't have to be good at it..." Ricky pressed. "It's all in the leading."

"Leading. Right. Doesn't going to homecoming require, like, a date? It's too late for that. Everyone's got someone to go with, plus, no guy in their right mind would even ask me."

The two were quiet for a moment.

This is your chance! Ricky said to himself. Say this; what? I'm sure there are so many guys who would love to be your date. Like me. Would you be my date to homecoming?

Just as he gained the courage to ask her, she began to speak. "Don't you think Big Red should ask Ashlyn? I mean, clearly, they like each other. And they would be so cute together! Aren't I right?"

"What? Oh, yeah. Sure."

Alexis frowned. "What?"

"Nothing," Ricky replied.

Just then, Nini Salazar Roberts walked past the two. She didn't notice them. But Ricky noticed her. Her beautiful long brown hair and her gorgeous chocolate eyes.

Ricky remembered immediately why he even joined the musical; to get back with Nini. And now, she was single! She wasn't dating EJ anymore. But he also remembered telling Alexis and Gina he wasn't staying in the musical because he wanted to get back with her. Then he also remembered his conversation with Big Red the other day, about Alexis. Then he also remembered the feeling he had whenever he was with Nini. The butterflies.

Then he was just confused.

Alexis noticed him staring at the girl and strangely felt her heart drop. "Maybe you could ask Nini to be your date!" She said with fake cheerfulness. Nini had been nothing short of awful to Alexis. But Ricky still liked her, she decided. And if she made him happy well....

She frowned a little. Why do the best people, who deserve so much more, pick people who treat them like they're nothing?

Now Ricky didn't know what to do. Alexis obviously didn't like him in any way other than a friendship, because if she did, she wouldn't have told him to ask out Nini. So maybe he thought he shouldn't ask her, because she would say no... he got a headache from trying to work it all out.

****
While waiting for rehearsals to start on Wednesday, Gina walked over to Alexis.

"Tonight. I need help!"

"What?" Said Alexis, distracted. She looked up from her script.

"I don't have a dress for homecoming. Will you please go to the mall with me tonight?"

"Of course!"

Gina smiled. "Thanks. We will need to find a dress for you too, I assume?"

Alexis frowned. "No. I'm not going. I'm staying home, baking cookies... probably gonna watch some 80s movies. I love Patrick Swayze. Dirty dancing is a favorite of mine."