Chapter 26- An Unexpected Assassin

"L/N!" Kunikida cried out, sprinting over to the hallway. His eyes flew across the path, but she was no longer there. A yelp was heard from his bedroom. The blonde clenched his fist and swung the door open, ready to attack. Furniture was cluttered everywhere, and the walls were somehow burnt? He looked to his left, then his right, then flinched after he saw a figure backing up towards him.

She was panting, having a bloody nose. "She's a child—" Y/N said through hard breaths. Kunikida looked forward, and to his surprise, there a child was. She had coffee-like hair put into two individual braids that went down to her chest. She wore silk pajamas that were white, butterflies of all colors were imprinted all over it.

Kunikida gulped, why must it be a child? The girl stood up, lightly rubbing the bruise forming on her forehead due to a kick from Y/N. Kunikida saw fear in the girls' eyes. He wanted to help her, maybe reason with her.

"Kunikida, she has some sort of ability. Be careful." Y/N's voice called to him. Should he be the one to be careful though? The blonde's vision started to become blurry. His opponent was a child, maybe she was lost? Surely he doesn't have to resort to violence with her. Surel... "KUNIKIDA-" Y/N cried out right before she pushed Kunikida out of the way. They both landed on the floor harshly. "YOU NEED TO FOCUS-" Y/N yelled at him quickly and desperately as she got off of him.

Kunikida blinked, now seeing what was truly happening. The little girls' eyes were not full of fear, but hatred. She squeezed her fist as flames started to form around her head. She directed the fire towards Y/N, the woman then getting onto her knees to prevent herself from getting burnt. The detective did not have his notebook in hand, what could he equip to restrain her without hurting the child? All he could do now is make sure Y/N would not get hurt.

As the woman attempted to get back up on her feet, another ball of flame was already being directed towards her. Almost instinctively, Kunikida pounced onto Y/N and pushed her out the way. He gritted his teeth as he felt flames attaching themselves and growing on the back of his vest. "Your gun- do you have your gun?!" The woman yelled at him, already starting to dig into his pants pocket.

"Wait-DON'T." Y/N grabbed a hold of the gun inside of his pocket and took it out, already aiming to shoot. "L/N--!!" The little girl flinched at the sight of a gun and braced herself. The woman placed pressure on the trigger, but what she was given in return was a click.

"Ah.." She pressed her lips together as she scrambled around to turn the safety off. The little girl relaxed her nerves and began to pounce at Y/N. She clicked the safety off and aimed at the girl's head. The loud bang filled her ears, making Y/N's body jump. The little girl's eyelids widened, and jerked her skull to the side, making her land on her knees. The girl turned her head over to the woman, and the woman alone. Y/N furrowed her eyebrows and aimed once more. The girl blinked, and more fire appeared around her. She clicked the trigger, but nothing came out. She tried once again, but there was nothing. There were no more bullets.

Cursing, Y/N threw the gun to the side and came onto her feet. She could no longer use physical combat on someone who was practically on fire. A fireball brushed through her ear, and she winced in pain, immediately putting her hand to her burnt skin. She came close to the wall, as fire surrounded the rest of her. She spun around to find the flaming girl coming in close to her.

At what was supposed to be Y/N's last moments, something hovered over the little girl from behind. A thick blanket. As the girl struggled to get out from under it, Kunikida held her in a chokehold. The little girl started to jerk around and kicked.

"Please..please just go to sleep.." Kunikida mumbled under his breath. His glasses fell from his face and dropped to the ground. Y/N looked on to the two as the girl's body went limp. The blonde sighed and released the girl from his harsh grasp. Before she could fall to the floor, he scooped her up in his arms. He took the blanket away from her face so she could breathe properly, and winced at her pained face.

"Is she..?"

"No, just unconscious." He responded quickly. Kunikida turned away from Y/N and began walking out the door.

"K-Kunikida! Your back.." She gaped at the blonde's back. His clothes had been burnt, and some of his skin was affected as well. An amount of guilt came onto her when she realized he had gotten the burn from when he leaped himself onto her to protect her from the fire.

"I'm alright. Don't worry." He turned and smiled over to her figure. The blonde walked out of the room and placed her on a couch in the living room. "Do me and a favor and watch her please." He called out to the woman. Y/N nodded and sat next to her.

Kunikida went around the apartment and grabbed oven mitts, spare handcuffs, and an ice pack. He thought for a moment and grabbed a small fire extinguisher beside his fridge.  He walked back over to the two, and a blurry Y/N turned to him.

Ah...he forgot he didn't have his glasses...

He placed the items down on the floor next to the couch quickly and turned his heel to head to his room. That is until Y/N grabbed a hold of his wrist.

"Oh, you looking for this?" The woman's clear smile immediately greeted him as she slid his spectacles onto his face. Kunikida blinked, a tad surprised. He had to keep his flustered reaction hidden with a small smile.

The blonde then walked over to the small girl. He slid his mittens on and proceeded to handcuff her hands and feet. Although he was very hesitant while doing so. Kunikida knelt down and observed the bruise on her forehead. Carefully, he placed the ice pack on the wound.

"What's the fire extinguisher for?" Y/N looked beside the couch, noticing the small item as Kunikida stood back up.

"Can never be too careful." Almost by command, the little girls' eyes flew open and she sat up, fire appeared on a table counter beside her. Kunikida blinked and immediately extinguished it swiftly.

"Oh- Yeah I suppose you're right. How do you know she won't use her ability a bunch as she did before?" The little girl flinched and turned to the two adults.

"She's physically exhausted. We don't need to worry about that." They both turned to the girl, who had weakened eyes. She attempted to move her hands but was restricted by her handcuffs. Fear came onto her as she struggled to get out of them. "Don't worry, we are not going to hurt you."

The little girl stopped struggling and turned her head over to the blonde. Her lips parted as she mumbled. "...that's what everyone says..." The two adults were silent to this comment. Y/N licked her dry brim and spoke.

"Listen, kid, who are you? Why are you here? How do you know about us? Who do you work for?" Y/N demanded answers in a stern tone, soon crossing her arms.

"L/N, she's just a child. Go easy on her." Kunikida replied.

"Child or not, she tried to kill us Kunikida." She glanced back at the little girl. Their eyes met together, and Y/N felt an odd feeling inside her stomach. She said nothing more.

"Let me introduce myself. I'm Kunikida Doppo. What's your name?" Kunikida took over the conversation.

"I know who you are." She replied blankly. The panic in her eyes did not leave, but she stood her ground. "Doppo Kunikida of the Armed Detective Agency. And Y/N L/N, a traitor who should be left to the rats." The two adults looked at each other.

"Where have I heard that.." Y/N mumbled as she examined the girl's figure. Butterflies flew around the fabric of her silk pajamas. They looked so familiar, why was that? Her glance came over to a chest pocket with words on it.

"Miss, please listen. We need to know who you are. Did someone send you..?" The girl was silent at Kunikida's question.

"We don't need to worry about who sent her." The blonde rose an eyebrow and looked at Y/N.  The woman pointed to small letters that went across the girl's pocket. "RBS."

"RBS...that's-"

"The Rabid Dogs Society." Kunikida gaped at the letters, connecting the dots.

"She's like me."

A/N- YALL THE RATATOUILLE MUSICAL IS COMING OUT SOON I'M SO EXCITED ALSO BUNGOU STRAY DOGS WAN! IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGO OK ANYWAYS GERDTHYJ