Prologue: Separation

“What do you mean you’re moving out?” I cried to him, firmly holding the silver bracelet he gave me just last week. Holding that gift used to help me gather strength but right now I feel like all of my loneliness is coming from the thing.

“I’m sorry.”  Jace apologized. “My mom said dad had a job offer he couldn’t refuse to at some state. We’re moving tomorrow at six.”

The sad part was that he really looked sorry. We’re 10 but for some reason I felt so much younger, maybe because I’ve been friends with him since kindergarten. Jace was like my hero, and he would always save me from all the bullies at our school. This was the first place where we used to hang out when we were kids; play hide and seek, tell stories and mostly just goof off. This abandoned tree house in the middle of the forest, far enough that we’re sure nobody could see or hear us. This is the place where most of my fond memories were created.

“Couldn’t it be postponed next week?” I knew it can’t be though, but I thought that maybe if I asked there’s a slight chance it will come true.

Jace shook his head, leaning forward to touch my shoulder. His face was guarded, but I know him well enough to see through the façade and see that he, too, is hurt. “Dad said it couldn’t.”

I just shook my head and leaned back to the wooden wall of the tree house, I replaced the bracelet in my right arm and looked at him. Neither of us spoke for one long minute. I just let my eyes and emotions tell him what I’m feeling. He never got the message.

After, I grumbled. “I hate this.”

Jace slid to sit beside me. Still looking at me, he spoke. “We still have the rest of the afternoon to have fun, right Jamie?”

That earned him a punch in the arm. “Stop calling me that.”

“Why? Little Jamie would get mad?” He jested, moving away from me, and for good reasons I presume.

“You are so gonna regret that.” I said, chasing him. The tree house was small so in order for Jace to dodge me, he jumped from the makeshift door and landed gracefully on the leafy autumn ground. I proceeded to make chase.

We were like this for the rest of the afternoon, occasionally stopping to catch our breaths. I was having so much fun that I tried not to think of the fact that he was moving away. Looking at him wearing those carefree eyes and that jovial smile, I knew then that what I’m feeling was something indescribable. At the end of the day we were both exhausted and sweaty. Lying on the ground he turned his head to face me. “I’m gonna miss you Jamie. You’re the best friend I could ever have.”

“The same goes for you Jace.” I smiled. “You always knew me better than anyone else.” And it was true, he knew how to make me laugh, when I have a problem, when I’m sad and the same goes for me too. We basically knew each other like the back our hands.

The sun was setting, giving the sky a warm orange glow. Jace stood up, wiping off the leaf that got caught in his shirt. He reached his hand out and helped me got up. With the setting sun’s light giving Jace a handsome glow, I couldn’t help but hurt inside that this is something that can never be reciprocated.

He smiled at me and I felt my inside go mush. “Let’s head back, ‘kay?”

All the while we were walking, my eyes were constantly on the ground. I can’t look at him in the eye without thinking that this is the last day we’ll spend together.

We parted on the crossroad with me going to the left and him to the right. “I’ll visit you early tomorrow.” I said as we parted.

Mom noticed me looking desolate and she walked towards me. “Are you okay, son?”

I looked up at her, and I just lost it. I cried on her shoulder for who-knows-how-long. “Jace’s moving away.” I told her in between sobs.

“It’s okay sweetie. You’ll see him someday again.” That thought wasn’t heard. My ears were practically deaf as I cried my soul out.  She just held me until, I calmed down and then she told me to get ready for dinner. After that, I went up to my room, saying good night to my parents and my big brother. For a long time I stared at the ceiling, thinking of something to do. My mind was full of thoughts of Jace and him leaving. I raised my hand and stared at the bracelet he gave me.

“This is a token of my friendship to you.” His voice echoed from somewhere inside my mind. My eyes started to tear up again when I had an idea. I jolted upright and went to my study table. I rummaged through my desk and got a pen and a stationary out. I wrote down all of my hidden feelings in that one sheet of paper, all of the things I felt for him. I neatly folded it and put it in a blue envelope. I carefully placed it in my nightstand and went to bed, distantly smiling. Tomorrow, 6 am, I’m running to him to give the paper that held my soul.

I woke up at 5 am and was ready to go out at 5:45. As expected, only mom was awake and she was busy cleaning the counters in the kitchen.

“Why’re you so early?” She asked from the kitchen.

“Just gonna give something to Jace.” I shouted, running out.

The cool morning air hitting my face, I ran toward Jace’s house. I wildly imagined what his reaction would be like; would he smile back to me? Would he be angry? The possibilities were practically endless as I ran past the crossroad. Dread filled me as I neared his family’s house. There were no vehicles outside anymore, I glanced at my watch to see it was 5 minutes to 6 am. I thought he said they were leaving at six? My palms were sweating as I neared their front door. I rapped on it once, then twice every knock getting louder by the second.

“Jace? Mrs. Allen?” I shouted. I peeked inside their window but nothing. I sat on the patio stair, and let the hurt fill me. A second later and I found myself crying on an abandoned home; The home of the person whom I first loved.

*************************************************

A/N: Well thank you for reading!! I hope you enjoyed this teaser. Vote, Comment and the like. :)

12/16/2012