Chapter 4: Cold Winter's Day

Snow was falling down hard outside, the whole forest was cloaked in a blanket of snow. It was a good thing that the cabin my parents and The Allens rented was big and really cozy, they even have their own fireplace. Sitting inside the comfy sofa, I put down my book as I went to the joined kitchen.

“You called, mom?” I asked in a bored tone.

“Could you get my apron upstairs?” She said without looking up from her bent position rummaging inside the just stocked fridge.

I lazily pivoted and went upstairs. There were five bedrooms in all, two for the two married couples and one each for the teens. The whole 6 hour drive here was really boring, or for me it was. My Dad and Mr. Allen switched once in driving while the mothers would just chat about random things. There were five people inside the spacious van. Of course it’s an odd number and guess who’s the odd one out? ME. For the whole drive I was sitting alone, wishing I could merge with the car door just to distance myself from the two lovey-doveys beside me that’s snuggling.

I opened the door to my parents’ room and quickly found my mom’s apron neatly folded in their closet. I went down the stairs trying to ignore the couple behind the mostly closed bedroom door. I find it quite annoying that my room is between Jace’s and Tina’s.

“Here you go, mom.” I threw her the apron and she easily caught it above the counter. I resumed my place in the sofa and continued reading.

I felt my eyes drop then the front door opened loudly, the wind whistling outside, letting in the cold air. I wrapped the blanket around me tighter as I craned my neck to see the two dads walk in carrying firewood. They quickly closed the door as to not let any more cold air in.

As if on cue, Mrs. Allen walked out of the bathroom. “Who let the cold air in?” She shivered then took notice of the two men carrying wood. “Welcome back.”

Dad and Mr. Allen walked to and leaned for a kiss to their respective spouses and went to the back to put the firewood.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, I took it out and checked the texter.

Hi, Jim! How’s the first day at the cabin?

It was Ruby. I smiled as I replied.

Boring. It’s a good thing I have books, my laptop and my PSP. Maybe when I get back I’d be wearing thick glasses. Hahaha

After a few seconds my phone buzzed again.

Oohiee.. Tsk tsk. Go talk to the ice duo.

I rolled my eyes I typed my answer.

I’d rather not. They’re busy upstairs making out or something…Disgusting.

Buzz.

Oh. I sense jealousy there.

No, I am so not jealous… I think.

From a text? Really?

Buzz. Again.

Yeah… I have a sixth sense.

There was a mouth watering smell that wafted from the kitchen. My stomach grumbled in response.

Well Congratulations.

Buzz. Again. Again

:p You’re jealous!!

Okay this is annoying. Change topic.

Anyway!! Have you heard from Tristan yet? I haven’t received any text from im.