Chapter 17: Redemption

The sun glared from outside my window. I was on the computer wasting time as frivolous as possible. We just finished eating lunch and I didn’t want to go out. My phone was still off and I didn’t want to open it. I scratched my head and leaned back on the swiveling chair. I spun and spun until the page stopped loading. Scrolling through pictures of supposed funny stuffs, I smile at some while I maintain my apathetic, bored face at others. It has been two weeks since the incident at the mall and I didn’t get even a single message from Brent. Ruby and the others were sympathetic and did their best to cheer me up. It did great to brighten my day even if in only a short amount of time that we were together but whenever Brent and I would pass by each other, the ache would come back tenfold. I wondered time and again why Brent didn’t call or at least talk to me in the school hallway. I wanted to call him but pride took over so whenever I scroll down my saved numbers I end up turning the phone off. I wanted to hear from him, I miss him and most of all, I needed an explanation.

How about you then? Would you explain yourself to him? Would you say that you cheated?

I shook my head to dispel the thoughts. I’m so not going there. A knock on the door prevented me from further berating myself. I stood up to open it.

“Hello.” They both said simultaneously. It was Ruby and Kurt. They looked at each other before they laughed.

“Do you guys need anything?” I said, not bothering to hide the annoyance in my voice.

“No. We just wanted to visit.” Ruby commented, allowing herself inside. She leapt for my bed while Kurt, much more graceful, sat on the edge. “You know what guys? I think we should enjoy this day that our esteemed teachers have given us.” She said in a mock British accent. “While they are busy doing who-the-hell-cares we must do our best to do I-don’t-give-a-damn-as-long-its-fun.”

I can’t help but smile as I went back to my chair. “I’m enjoying it now.”

Kurt piped in. “In front of the computer?”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “The definition of fun is relative for all of us, damn it.”

“Why don’t we three have a Q and A?” Ruby interjected just when Kurt opened his mouth, her eyes gleaming with untold excitement that was lost on Kurt and me.

“No. What are you, twelve?” I said, disgustingly.

“Age does not define maturity, Jamie so shut up. I’m not talking to you.” I flipped her off with a head shake. “So, Kurt, wanna have a Q and A?”

He nodded. Bad move, Kurt. It was Ruby’s way of saying she wants to ask some intriguing stuff that was juicy enough, at least for her, to be included in a newspaper.

I drowned myself in the computer deeper while Ruby literally started stretching to start the interview.

“So, how long are you and Jace have been secretly seeing each other?”

“She’s not publicly known to understand the meaning of the word, ‘subtle’.” I commented, my eyes still glued to the screen.

Kurt released a sigh. “We’re not dating. He’s just helping me with my own problem. Jace… is a nice guy.”

Ruby’s giggle and the long, drawled out ‘helping’ she said caught my attention. This woman’s a bitch. I don’t even know why are we friends. “What kind of problems?”

“Please tell me you won’t laugh.” Kurt replied shyly. I spun on my chair and faced them, curiosity visible on my face. I nodded with a beam while Ruby motioned with her hand elegantly to go on. Kurt breathed deeply before continuing. “Ever since I’ve moved here, well, I’ve been having these strange dreams. Like are any of them real or not? It’s just so realistic. There are days when I wake up and forget them but there are times when I wake up and still feel like everything is real, like I’ve experienced them before.”