Strum

"Okay, I totally think this year's going to be amazing," Brenda said, falling into step beside (Y/n). "I've got great classes, mostly great teachers, except for a couple. You know Professor Janson, right? He's kind of a pain. Do you have him?" 

(Y/n) nodded, watching where she placed her feet as her friend rambled on, clearly trying to get more of a conversation going. She and Brenda had known each other for a few years now, so it wasn't new that (Y/n) didn't talk a lot. Around Teresa, Brenda was sometimes more quiet - sometimes - but she seemed to want to try and make up for the lack of conversation (Y/n) created all the time. 

"I think I'm going to fail," she finally said when Brenda opened the door to their apartment. Teresa was already inside, typing away on her laptop. She looked up at the pair, lifting an eyebrow at (Y/n)'s statement. 

"What makes you say that?" she asked, returning her gaze to her laptop. "I mean, you've got me around, so...." Brenda snorted, throwing her backpack on the floor and walking over to the couch, sitting down. 

"I barely scraped by last year," (Y/n) said, following Brenda and sitting on the opposite side of the couch. "I'm not sure I can deal with another year like last year." 

"It's barely the first day," Brenda said. "Give it a chance. I'm sure you'll pull through." Teresa moved her laptop aside, standing up and plopping into the center of the couch. 

"And you've got us," she said, putting her hand on (Y/n)'s arm. "I don't know if you've heard, but I'm pretty good at finding ways to take your mind off stress. Taking a break when things get rough can be helpful. Your best work can sometimes follow. And, we're majoring in the same thing. Come to me if you need help." 

"Thanks," (Y/n) said half-heartedly. She offered her friends a small smile to reinforce her words, which they both returned. 

"Anyway," Teresa continued, stretching her arms above her head, "are you guys hungry? I've been staring at a laptop screen for about two hours straight, so I'm ready to go get something to eat." 

~

(Y/n) stuck her hands in her sweatshirt pocket, keeping her eyes downcast as she started walking back to the apartments. She'd left the dining hall a bit earlier than Brenda and Teresa, who had apparently both been hungrier than her. She wanted to be as prepared as possible, though she knew nothing productive was going to get done. She just wanted to lay down and sleep and forget the stress for a few hours. 

She was passing by a small park shaded by a cluster of trees when she heard a soft voice and the quiet strum of a guitar. She paused, then shook her head. She moved to keep walking when the music got slightly louder and more frequent. 

Curious now as to who was playing, she turned towards the park, stepping lightly so as not to disturb them. She hesitated, thinking it was almost creepy to see who was playing, and with this thought in mind turned to leave. 

The music suddenly came to a stop and she stiffened. "Hey, love." Her cheeks instantly flared red and she quickly turned around to come face to face with a tall, blond boy with a guitar slung over his back. He must have been the one playing, but she was simply flustered with the fact that his first words to her had been hey, love

"I-I'm sorry," she said. "I heard you playing and I was curious, but I thought that it was kind of creepy, so I was going to leave. I'm so sorry. That's so creepy." 

"Whoa, slow down," the boy said. "It's alright. I was just about to head back, anyway. I'm Newt, by the way." 

"Um...(Y/n)," she replied, finding it hard to keep eye contact with him. His eyebrows furrowed slightly as if he was thinking, but the expression was fleeting and he replaced it with a small smile. "I should...I should probably get going. Before it gets too dark." 

"Of course," Newt said, nodding. "Maybe I'll see you around?" 

"Maybe." She offered him a smile of her own, still slightly flustered but shaking it off. She lifted her hand in a farewell and started walking, only to hear Newt laughing lightly behind her. She shrunk, glancing back. 

"Sorry, sorry," he said, moving over to her. "I'm actually heading the same way. Do you mind if I join you?" 

"No, I guess not," she said, her cheeks red all over again. She bit her lip, looking down as they started walking. She wasn't excellent at starting conversations, and she didn't talk to many boys. She knew a few, sure, but she'd known them since she was young and a lot of them had gone to different colleges for different majors. 

"So...." She coughed at her failure but a glance at Newt showed that he was only patiently waiting for her to continue. "What do you major in?" 

"Plant science," he responded. "You?" 

"Medicine," she said, averting her gaze yet again. She looked at the ground, at their feet. That's when she noticed Newt's uneven walk. She looked up at his face, but he seemed unbothered by it. "Are you...okay?" 

"Huh? Yeah, of course. Why?" Something about his tone sounded slightly nervous, but he didn't look too nervous, and if it wasn't bothering him, she was going to leave him alone about it. 

"No reason. Just medical instincts kicking in, I guess," she said, looking back at the sidewalk. 

They lapsed into silence after that, and a few minutes later they approached (Y/n)'s apartment building. "Um...thanks for walking me," she said. 

"This is it?" Newt asked, looking from the building to her. 

"Um...yeah? Is there...-"

"This is my building, too," he said, chuckling. And for the third time that night, though this time out of embarrassment, (Y/n)'s cheeks turned red. She cursed herself for being so easily flustered. 

"Well," Newt said after an awkward moment of silence. He opened the door and stepped back to let her in. "Seems like I will see you around." 

"I'm...not super social," (Y/n) said. "How long have you been in this building...?" 

"Since my freshman year. Have to live with two bloody idiots for roommates." This drew a small laugh from the female but Newt remained almost dead serious but for the way his mouth twitched upwards. 

"Well, good luck, then," she said, looking up at him. "Um...bye for real this time?" Newt laughed, extending his hand towards her. 

"For now," he agreed and she shook his hand, offering him another smile. He returned it, then stepped back and waved. 

After finally parting ways, (Y/n) returned to her apartment, went directly to her room, and fell asleep.