Socializing

"You need to be social." 

"No, Brenda, I'm fine. I'll be plenty social after I graduate." 

"Good to get some practice!" 

"She's right," Teresa finally chimed in from where she was texting on the couch. "You need to get out more, (Y/n)."

"And if you aren't going to go be social, we'll bring the social to you," Brenda added. "Believe me, I have my ways." 

"You do that. I've got a bit of homework, so I'll be in my room," (Y/n) said, standing up. Teresa snorted from where she was sitting, but there was nothing funny about the previous statement, so she assumed it was about whoever was texting her. She shrugged it off and went to her room, softly shutting the door and hoping Brenda was bluffing. 

~

An hour and a half later, Brenda started calling her name and she opened the door a crack, peering out at her roommate. Teresa was nowhere to be seen, but the sounds coming from elsewhere in the apartment stated that she was still somewhere inside. 

"Come on out," Brenda said and just when (Y/n) would have closed the door, her roommate stuck her foot in the doorway.

"Why?" she asked somewhat grumpily. She was not in on Brenda's socializing idea - she'd rather be in her room working so she could sleep later.

"Just come on. There's food." (Y/n) stared at her friend, then sighed, stepping out and closing the door to her room.

She walked into the kitchen, crossing her arms upon seeing Teresa and a boy standing next to her, leaning over her shoulder to try and see what she was doing.

"Let me guess," (Y/n) murmured to Brenda. "Thomas."

"Yep!" (Y/n) had heard of Thomas, though Teresa was the only one who really talked about him. She knew Brenda liked him, but she seemed to have become resigned to the fact that the boy was more interested in Teresa.

The pair often hung out around Thomas and his two friends, though she never joined them as she was 'too busy' and didn't really want to mingle with that group anyway. She loved her roommates, her friends, don't get her wrong, but she didn't really want to deal with...the tension. Getting into a relationship was not her priority. She needed to focus on her work.

Thomas turned around, smiling at (Y/n). She lifted a hand, lowering it after a moment. "(Y/n), right?" he said, stepping over to her and holding out his hand. "Teresa and Brenda talk about you a lot."

"Oh," was all she said, shaking his hand. The boy coughed slightly and stepped back.

"The other two are picking up some stuff so they'll be here a little later," Brenda said, falling back on the couch.

"Other two?" (Y/n) asked skeptically, looking back at her friend.

"Yeah. You finally get to meet 'the Ivy Trio.'" Great. The whole group was going to be here. She sighed, sitting down. So much for getting work done.

~

A knock on the door a few minutes later signified the 'other two' arriving. Teresa walked over to the door and opened it, stepping back.

"The party has arrived," the first newcomer announced, holding a plastic bag in one hand and lifting the other proudly. He was an Asian boy with spiked black hair and a cocky demeanor. "I bet you all missed me. Especially you, Thomas."

"Sure, sure, Minho," Thomas said, rolling his eyes. (Y/n) looked back to the door as the second newcomer came in and she froze.

It was Newt. He had two bags in one hand, the other in his pocket, his guitar slung across his back. She sunk into the couch, looking at her phone.