sharing the punishment

The next day

Anu opened her eyes to the sunlight shining through the room. She noticed Nakul sneaking out of the room. She immediately got up and followed him.

She followed him until she saw him sneak up on Bhrata Bheem. Before she could see any more she was pulled into the nearest room by someone. She was about to yelp when she saw who it was,

"Jiji! Don't scare me like that!" She said.

"Sorry Anu," Dushala said blushing. "I just didn't know you woke up this early."

"I am used to it." She said, "when we lived in the forest, we used to get up at dawn."

Dushala smiled and said, "well, that means we can have more fun time together."

Anu smiled at her cousin. But then one of the maids walked in and called Dushala.

"Rajkumari, maharani requires your presence."

Dushala frowned and turned to Anu and said,

"Sorry Anu, we'll play later in the courtyard with all my friends."

"Okay!" She said smiling.

Dushala smiled and turned and left the room.

Anu turned towards where Nakul and Bheem had been standing but found the entire hall empty. She ran through the corridors to search for their trace, and suddenly dashed into Yudhishthir who was standing with Arjun and Sahadev.

"Slow down Anu!" He said surprised. " Why are you in a hurry?"

"I'm looking for Bhrata Bheem and Bhrata Nakul." She said. "They were in the hall just a few minutes ago."

"We were also searching for them." Said Arjun. "Knowing Bhrata Bheem, they probably went to the mango groves to have a pre-meal."

Anu laughed and held Yudhishthir's hand as they made their way to the groves where they saw Bheem and Nakul being teased by the Kauravas who were seated on the trees munching on mangoes. Anu saw the look in her brother's eyes and knew instantly that the Kauravas would be in danger if they didn't stop their antics.

Bheem was about to take action when Yudhishthir grabbed his shoulder and said,

"Calm down Bheem, don't do anything reckless. Come, I shall have a meal prepared for you."

Anu knew that the first thing Bheem wanted to do was punish the Kauravas, but he never dared to argue against their jesht. He sighed and turned to leave with them when one of the Kauravas said,

"Yeah! Yeah! Go and beg! That's what your sanyasi father must have taught you!"

That was the last straw. Even Yudhishthir looked upset and a little angry. All of the Pandavas were fuming listening to the Kauravas insulting their father. Even Anu was more than a little disappointed. The Kauravas were supposed to be like their brothers. How could they be so cruel? However, she still didn't want to see any violence between her bhratas. She turned to Arjun, who glanced at Yudhishthir and in an angry tone said,

"Now they have crossed all limits jesht! Forgiveness shouldn't be to such an extent that it becomes a sign of weakness. That's what pitashree used to say."

"You're absolutely right Arjun." Yudhishthir said, "It isn't appropriate to use such words against our father."

Looking back at Bheem, he sighed in defeat and released his hand from his shoulder. Anu took a step back. Things were going to get bad. Jesht was the only string keeping Bheem from raging out. Now it seemed as though that string had also loosened.