10. indie's had enough

"so we're definitely gonna fail the bechdel test if i say this," said indie. she was on facetime with jade while beck was in the shower. "but i'm not sure what beck's doing right now. with us, and our weird little talking stage relationship."

"want me to talk to him?" asked jade. "i'll be very...persuasive."

"no," said indie quickly. "that's gonna make it ten times worse."

"he's just being a pussy," said jade. "simple as that."

"but what if it's not as simple as that?" asked indie. "i mean, i know he likes me. but he hasn't even kissed me yet, let alone asked me to be his girlfriend. what if he just doesn't want to date, and he just wants to have some sort of open relationship bullshit so he can fuck around with other girls?"

"he wouldn't do that," said jade. "look, before you came, he'd let girls fawn all over him. but now the only other girls he talks to are, like, me, cat, and tori."

"i guess," sighed indie. "i don't know. i just feel like he should've done something by now. he always says that he wants it to be a 'big moment', and don't get me wrong, i do too, but what if a 'big moment' doesn't present itself and i'm just left hanging?"

"with our school?" said jade. "there's always gonna be a big moment."

"hopefully," said indie. "i wish he'd just get a move on. i like him a lot, but i'm starting to question if he likes me as much as i like him."

"you must be blind," said jade. "he's clearly--"

she was interrupted by beck getting out of the shower, walking into indie's room with nothing but a towel around his waist.

"ew," jade said. "i'm hanging up. see you."

"bye," said indie. she ended the facetime and turned to beck. "where are your clothes?"

"don't act like you don't like it," he said flirtatiously.

indie couldn't deny that she did, so she settled for blushing. 

"my clothes are in the bathroom, but i left my toothbrush in here," he said, grabbing it out of his bag and retreating back to said bathroom.

unbeknownst to indie, he'd heard her conversations with jade. he knew that he was running out of time to ask her out. he didn't want to stay in this weird situationship forever, but he didn't want to fuck up either. he wanted, as he had told her, a big moment. but as time went on, it became increasingly clear that a moment wouldn't just fall into his hands. he would have to make one.

such was the thought on his mind when he walked out into indie's room from the bathroom again, fully dressed this time around.

"i don't know why you even bother hauling a backpack back and forth," said indie. she was laying on her bed, sitting hunched over a notebook. "you've spent just about every night here for months now."

"is that a complaint?" he asked playfully.

"no, definitely not," said indie. "just an observation. you could leave it here if you wanted."

"my toothbrush?"

indie swallowed. why was this so hard? it wasn't like she was proposing. he'd asked her to move in together at the louis vuitton, but neither of them had thought anything of it. besides, she wasn't asking him to fully move in, just keep a few outfits and a toothbrush. but then again, they weren't dating. their relationship was already weird, she didn't need to complicate it further.

"never mind," she said, her eyes falling back to the notebook as she continued to write.

beck's eyebrows furrowed. he didn't read as much into it as she did, but boys never do. he plopped down beside her, wet hair and all, and tried to sneak a peek at her writing.