5. beggin' on your knees

*third person pov*

indie was sitting in chorus, bored, with tori as they did a vocal exercise. both tori and indie were doing fine, but robbie was horribly off key.

"hold up, hold up," said the teacher. "someone was off key."

"yeah, who was it?" singsonged tori, looking pointedly at robbie.

indie rolled her eyes. even though they mostly got along, tori could be a bit of a snitch sometimes.

"two hints," said rex. "robbie and shapiro."

"my singing was not off," protested robbie.

"man, your whole life is off," said rex.

"well, i think maybe, uh, indie was off key," said robbie desperately. "or tori."

indie snorted. "okay, miranda sings."

"uh, tori wasn't off," said some guy in a leather jacket with an earring. he turned to tori. "you were perfect. really nice tune."

"ooooh," indie whispered to tori, elbowing her.

"handsome boy thinks i was perfect," said tori smugly.

the bell rang, and everyone got up to leave.

"ah ah ah, not so fast," said the teacher. "let's talk about your homework assignment."

indie and tori groaned in unison.

"for the full moon jam?" asked rex incredulously.

"mhm. you all have to do a song, and your performance will count as one third of your semester grade," said the teacher.

"we have to sing a solo?" asked leather jacket guy indignantly.

"it can be a solo, or you can pair up with someone in this class and do a duet," answered the teacher. "but just solos and duets."

"what about us?" sang the acapella group in harmony.

"no!" shouted the teacher. "no quartets."

"thank fucking god," indie muttered to tori, who nodded in agreement.

everyone began to leave. on her way out, indie was stopped by robbie. 

"so, indie, what should we sing together?" he asked.

"uh, no, i call indie," said some random girl with weird bangs. 

"i already called indie," said someone else.

a whole group of people began to squabble about who would perform with indie.

"hey!" yelled indie, and everyone quieted down. "one, i don't know half of you. two, you can't just call me. three, i'm doing a solo. four, every single person in this room right now has janky bangs. so scoot." she walked away, leaving the group to swarm tori as their second choice.

later that day, indie was getting some books out of her locker when the guy in the leather jacket walked up to her.

"hey, indigo," he said.

"it's just indie," she said, turning around to face him. "what's up?"

"well, indie, i'm ryder," he said.

"oh, cool," said indie. "nice to meet you."

"so, i was wondering if maybe you wanted to, you know, go out," he said. 

indie saw through him instantly. "oh, i see what you're doing," she said.

"what do you mean?" he asked innocently.