35

Rita cries at weddings. She cried at her own and she would cry at every one of her children's. Ryley knew this as a fact. He also knew that Rita had wished and prayed for Brooks and Elizabeth together for two long years. Ryley could not lay next to his wife every night and not know this. While the wedding was beautiful in the clean, shining church and the king had taken his officiating job and the bride was so beautiful under her veil that the groom could not keep his eyes off of her, Ryley had to step out. Between his own restlessness, his wife's fears, and the young child he tucked in her blankets, Ryley could not sit still. He quietly excused himself from the large service and promise his wife to be back before the ball's first dance. Ryley cradled his young daughter close and broke into the frosty winter air. He took a turn around the gardens in the chilly winter air, his daughter rocked to sleep by the way of his steps. As he watched the sleeping girl in his arms, he spied a shadow walking down the street toward the woods. On another day, seeing someone pass by the chapel's garden would have been common. But all of Leeland and a good deal of Averie herself were inside the building at his back watching a beautiful ceremony. There was only one person he missed seeing and he knew only one reason for the sister of the bride to miss Elizabeth's wedding.

"Angelica." He calls out and he is so surprised the cool air knocks the breath out of him when she stops. Her hunchbacked form crawls out of the shadows. Ryley walks out to meet her on the road. The mia's face is covered with a cloth that she pulls down from her lips. The baby strapped upon her back is covered with a warm cloak Ryley has seen Zacary wear and breeches peep out beneath the mia's skirt. She carries a bag in one hand and has a bow and a quiver slung across her back. A dagger peeks out of each boot and one is slipped in her waistband. Her mitten-clad hands wave at the sky and her brown eyes flit upward.

"Perfect day for a stroll, isn't it?" she says cheerfully.

Ryley sees easily through her ploy. "Your sister is getting married. You should be inside that church helping her celebrate this day."

"I am counting on Brooks to keep her festive spirits high. Hopefully until tomorrow. She doesn't need me to watch her marry the love of her life. Besides, oh noble one, I can see plainly that you do not give a fig about weddings either."

"Rita's crying." He says by way of explanation. The mia nods. 

"I do not want to see you slip down a bad path, my mia." He continues. "So many do after big changes in their life."

"You can say it. He is dead, Brother Ryley, and he is not coming back. I killed Richard, you know. I took his own dagger and stuck it in his chest. That bloody scoundrel!" The mia spits on the earth. "Don't tell Zac. I don't think he knows it was me. Would hate to change his opinion of me on such short notice. I have all this hatred in my heart and this town is not my home. I have to go after all those horrible men that followed Richard and once each one of those filthy mutts is captured, I can finally rest at ease."

"What about Sir Zacary?"

"He might go in search of his mother. he might stay and be an earl. I do not know. His destiny is not up to me."

Ryley clasps her into as much of a hug as a man holding a baby can. "Be safe and find your home, my mia," he whispers. The mia smiles before leaving him. 

"Godspeed," he calls as he waves. The mia never turns back.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Zac wondered how he could politely dismiss himself from Princess Fallyn. He had finally gotten out of dancing with the king's daughter but the stubborn girl continued to chatter her head off no matter where he went. When Beth appeared by his side, he gave an audible sigh.