They'll Be Parties For Hosting (Marshmallows Toasting)

Christmas for the Season 3 team. Set between 3x10 and 3x11.

The weather began to get colder as December rolled around. Typically, Christmas time meant a time spent with family; however, that isn't that simple for those working for SHIELD. Their jobs were super classified, meaning they had little time off to spend with their family. While December and Christmas should be a time of joy, the agents were usually feeling a little down, throwing themselves into their work.

Director Phil Coulson was not going to let it slide this year.

The team had been through a lot within the last year. Skye... Daisy, now, had found her birth parents after her lifelong search only for it turn south. Her biological mother was killed by her biological father in order to protect her. Unfortunately, they had to put him through the TAHITI project in order for him to live a good and normal life. Simmons had just returned from Maveth and was still getting used to being back on Earth. It wasn't that long ago that Grant Ward had murdered Rosalind Price, who Coulson had a liking towards. Things were dark, but slowly getting better for the team. A little Christmas spirit would sure to bring everyone up.

Phil left his office to find his team in the common room. They were talking with one another like they did every other day. Fitzsimmons sat on the couch beside May, Bobbi, Hunter, and Mack were talking with Joey in the kitchen, and Daisy and Lincoln were cuddled up on a seat. Wait, what? Daisy and Lincoln? When did that happen? Coulson shook his head to get that sudden thought out of his head, he was sure to give the boy a talk later, but he had a mission for them.

He clapped his hands together. "So," he announced, bringing his agents' attention to him. "Who's ready for another mission?" Multiple groans were heard across the room.

"But it's Christmas time," Daisy whined. "We got a small break last year."

"Don't worry, you guys. It's not that kind of mission." The team gave Coulson a confused look. "Listen, last year, we had just moved to the Playground, so having Christmas festivities was a little difficult. This year, I plan to change that. So here's how it will go. May, Lincoln, Daisy, and I will get the tree. Mack, Joey, and Fitz: lights. Bobbi, Hunter, and Jemma, you've got additional decorations as well as food. Once we have everything decorated, I have a little competition for everyone tonight. Sound good?"

Everyone nodded, now with smiles on their faces. Everyone got ready to go out on their "missions".

"I feel like I was put into the wrong group," Joey admitted. "I get why you two are on lights," he told Mack and Fitz. "You're a mechanic, and you're an engineer. All I can do is melt metal, and I highly doubt that will be useful in this situation."

"Don't worry about it, man," Mack said. "From personal experience, rigging up Christmas lights is no walk in the park, so even just the littlest of help can help in a big way."

"I just wish Coulson had put Lincoln on our team," Fitz said as he worked with the lights. "These are brand new lights, and some of the bulbs are already out. Ouch!" he shouted as he shocked himself. 

"Yeah, I wonder why Lincoln is on the tree team," Joey added. "It seemed like the perfect team to have a family day. I mean the three of them could use the time together." Mack and Fitz looked to Joey as if they felt bad for him. "What?"

"I mean, you're not alone, but you also see May, Coulson, and Daisy as a family unit?" Fitz asked.

"Well, Daisy is their daughter, right?"

Both Fitz and Mack couldn't help but laugh. "Hate to break it to you, but Daisy isn't their biological daughter. Trust me, there was a whole thing over six months ago that proves that."