New Rules

"I like your leather jacket."

Seb felt the words more than heard them. There was an awkward chill in the air after Miki's coupling. Bill had pulled Stevie to the side immediately after Miki picked him. And unsure of where to focus their attention, everyone awkwardly milled about in amorphous groups.

But Genevieve's words were like a drifting orb of warmth listing gently toward him through the surprisingly brisk night air. Like the iridescent bubble that signaled the good witch in the Wizard of Oz. He turned toward her.

"Oh, yeah? Thanks." He fumbled for something charming to say back. "I like your... sunflowers."

"Thanks," she beamed, her already-pretty face surging with a lovely smile. "They're my favorite flower. I love the sun."

"Cool," he said. A nervous knot stuck stubbornly in his throat. "I don't think I have a favorite flower. But sunflowers are nice. Maybe they could be my favorite, too." It wasn't a great line, but it was at least a far cry from surly (his MO). Viv seemed so nice. Her face was as bright as an open window. But he couldn't help but feel like a flying monkey trying to pass as Prince Charming.

"Hey girl!" Elladine greeted an approaching dark figure. Stevie emerged from the shadows surrounding the firepit, her hips swaying hypnotically. Her body was swathed in all black and the firelight collided with her hair, casting greenish hues about her face.

Like an unwilling magnet, his eyes were drawn to her. She gave Elladine a quick greeting, but her attention fell on him. Her gaze was sharp, like those few seconds where you touch something either really hot or really cold, but your brain needs a minute to catch up to figure out which.

"Could I speak to you in private?"

A knot tightened around his heart. Why did she want to talk to him out of everyone? Newly single, asking for a private chat immediately after getting dumped. This felt like it meant something in the language of Love Island.

"Yeah, man!" he responded with more enthusiasm than was natural for him. "Let's go."

He stood up. Genevieve frowned and looked around the Villa as though searching for someone. Which made him realize that AJ, his Love Island other half, was nowhere to be found. He turned to Nicky and Elladine who were huddled close together on the bench near him, watching the scene with interest. "I guess if AJ comes by, let her know I'll be back in a bit." He looked around the grounds. "Where is she anyway?"

"I think she said something about taking a midnight splash," Nicky said. Something in his tone made Seb self-conscious.

Seb chuckled, trying and failing at sounding relaxed. "Too much energy in that one." He started to walk away and realized he didn't know where they were going. He turned to Stevie. "Roof terrace?"

"Sounds good."

"Don't have too much fun, you two," Nicky teased as they walked off.

Stevie's presence softened under the gentler fairy lights on the terrace. Her gait relaxed into a bouncier step as she walked over to the ledge. If she was affected by the loss of Bill, it wasn't showing. Her viral moment with her ex crept to the forefront of his mind. She must be a glutton for punishment to come on a show like this after being cheated on in such a public way. Love Island involved so many "private" conversations, partner swapping, temptation to switch. Why was she here?

Distant splashing sounds punctuated the quiet Spanish landscape. They both looked down at AJ, who was swimming frenzied laps in the pool. Stevie raised her eyebrows and sighed deeply. "I get tired just watching her."