Not a Lot, Just Forever

Mary Pat drove recklessly up a series of steep hills and narrow curves for what felt like an eternity but was likely only about 7 minutes. Eventually she pulled into a long gravel driveway that twisted up a hill to a small one story house with a splintered wood porch stretching across the front of it like a weary smile.

"Here we are!" Mary Pat announced. Just as he was about to thank her and say goodbye, she put the car in park and jumped out, making a determined path to the front door.

"Oh you don't have to walk me up—"

"I still don't know if she wants you here. I'm not gonna drop you off like Baby Moses." She rapped against the jamb and gave him a short, perfunctory smile.

A rush of panic paralyzed him. What if she didn't answer? What if she did? Would she think he was insane? She probably should. Would she be angry at him? Could he get away with running away down the hill? He'd still not told Mary Pat his name.

Before he could make a move, the door opened and Stevie's lovely face appeared through the screen door. The sight of her completely obliterated his heart, like some gorgeous meteor crashing into him. Every difficult emotion, every orphaned feeling, every bitter thought he'd had. They all vaporised in the heat of her gaze and the slight upturn of her full lips. "Seb?"

"Stevie," he said, without a clue how to explain himself. For a moment, she took him in, like she was trying to discern whether he was real. He lived a thousand lifetimes in that single second before she pushed the door open hurriedly, her eyes locked on his face.

All at once her arms were squeezing tightly around his shoulders and he was enveloped in her warmth and scent. He couldn't hear what she said but he could feel the buzz of her voice against his neck. He did the only thing he knew to do and squeezed her back, releasing all the pent up worry and questioning and anxiety of the past week. She was in his arms again. She was happy to see him.

"I'm judging by that welcome you're okay with his being here?" Mary Pat said in an amused voice.

Stevie stepped back looking alarmed. "Mary Pat? I'm so sorry! What are you... How did you–?" She seemed to remember herself and then swallowed hard and nodded with a simple, "Ma'am?"

"No need to apologise, sweetie," Mary Pat said as she started to step down the porch steps again. "I'll let him catch you up. I need to get back to the store."

"Thank you!" he called out to her. Then he hastily added to be polite. "Uh, ma'am!"

"Nice meeting you, hun. Tell your father I said hello, Sugar Magnolia." She cast a glance over the yellowing grass. "If he needs some yard supplies I have them down at the store." And with that she was back in her car, and driving away just as recklessly away as she'd come.

Seb looked back at Stevie with a wide smile. She looked stricken. "So... Sugar Magnolia?" he asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about. And I don't think I'm the one who should be answering questions right now." She threw her hair back, as though trying to maintain her dignity. "How are you here right now?"

All the feelings flooded his exhausted, dishevelled mind and he started talking. "Stevie, I'm so sorry. I was such a prick to you before we left. It took me too long to realise I was sulking and by then we heard that you lot couldn't make it to Ibiza and I just... I didn't want to just let it all slip away again. So I... came here."

"You came here," she said breathlessly, her eyes shimmering in the light of the setting sun.

Self-consciousness began to creep in. "I know it's a lot for me to show up like this. I can get a hotel. Give you some space before we talk–"