Chapter 10

Thursday 16th January 1964

The White House

7pm

Jack went into his wife’s bedroom fixing his bow-tie. He stopped and gasped. “God… you look stunning.”

She blushed. “Thank you.”

Jack sat down on her bed to tie his shoes. They were meant to be at a state dinner in ten minutes. “Jack….” Jackie said.

“Yeah?”

“I need to show you something.”

“Just a minute.”

She sighed and put her hands on her dresser. She slowly but steadily pulled herself up. She had a tingling feeling in her legs. It was the first time she’d felt them since Dallas.

Jack turned around stunned. “Jackie?” His voice was weak.

“I can feel my legs a little.”

He rushed to her side and hugged her. “That a great sign.”

She smiled and sat back down. “Ready for the dinner?”

He nodded. Nothing could spoil his mood now. He couldn’t believe she had a small feeling in her leg.

9pm

Ballroom

“Come on Jackie, let’s dance.” He smiled taking her hands. She looked stunned. “What? How?”

As people began to waltz he slowly pushed her about in her wheelchair while holding her hands. He smiled softly. He was enjoying himself. He wanted Jackie to know she wasn’t any different from other people.

She had a huge smile on her face. They were happily dancing when a Senator poked him on the shoulder. “Could you dance with my wife?”

Jack looked at him. “I’m dancing with my wife.” He replied.

“But it’s not as if it’s dancing.”

“Shut up!” Jack snapped. “I’ll dance with who I want and my wife is much more deserving than you.”

The Senator walked away.

“Thank you, Jack.” Jackie said softly looking into his eyes. “Stupid Republican, he has no consideration for others.”

She nodded and slipped her hands back into his. He grinned.

11pm

Jackie was lying in bed when Jack came in. He looked mad. Bunny?” She questioned as he got into bed.

“It annoys me that people treat you differently. It’s not your fault. I swear I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

She cuddled into his chest. “I know.”

He smiled and kissed her head.