Chapter 7

Wednesday 4th December 1963

Hammersmith Farm, RI

Jackie was sitting in the garden. She only emerged from her room when her Mother went out. She hated people seeing her.

She went down to the beach. She looked up at Clint. “Mr. Hill, could you please help me on to the sand?”

He nodded. “Of course Ma’am.” He carefully lifted Jackie on to the sand. She nodded at him to leave. She stretched her legs out and let the water run over them.

“Jackie?”

She looked up and relaxed when she saw her sister. Lee got down beside her. “Why are you here on your own?”

Jackie sighed. “Jack…. I had a go at him…”

Lee put an arm around her sister. “Do you want to talk about it?”

She nodded and explained everything from what happened in Dallas right up to her fight with Jack.

“He’s cheating on you? Two weeks after this happened?”

Jackie shrugged. “Well…. I accused him of it… I don’t actually have any proof that he did…”

“Jackie…”

“I was really upset. He was treating me like I was a different person…. I told him he would treat me like what his Father did to Rosemary.”

“Jackie!” Lee gasped. “That’s horrible… how could you say that to him?”

“I was mad! He ignored me.”

Lee hugged her. “Everything will be okay.”

She sighed. “I hope so.”

When Lee stood up she noticed her sister’s hair was thinner than normal. “Jackie, is your hair falling out?”

“Lee you don’t know the stress and pressure I’m under! Just go!”

Lee backed away. She felt sorry for Jackie but she didn’t know what to do to make it better.