Chapter 3

Air Force One

5pm

Jackie was alone in the private cabin. Jack was with Pierre briefing reporters. After closing the door she moved her wheelchair to the bed. Steadily and carefully she eased herself on to the bed. The pain in her back was hell. She titled her head slightly so she could look out the window. That’s when it hit her. She began to sob into her hands.

“Jackie!” Jack grinned taking her hand as they walked across Love field Airport. She blushed. “Bunny.”

He winked at her before helping her into the car. “You’re flowers are lovely, they go with your suit.”

“Yes… I suppose but everywhere else they’ve given me yellow roses.”

He smiled. “You look really nice today, Kid.”

She blushed. “Thank you.”

She held his hand as they travelled through downtown Dallas, it was lovely and warm. When she turned to the left to wave Jack’s hand landed on her knee. She turned to him. “What are you doing?”

He grinned as his hand slid under her pink skirt. “Jack, later.” She mumbled trying not to moan. He smiled. “Fine.”

As the care turned on to Dealey Plaza Jackie saw a tunnel. It’ll be cool she thought as Jack’s hand slipped back into hers. She blushed. “You know Mr. President; you can’t say Dallas doesn’t love you.” Nellie Connelly smiled.

“No, you certainly can’t.” Jack grinned.

Suddenly there was a sharp bang, like a firecracker. Jack turned to Jackie immediately. Her eyes were wide in fear when another shot went off. She lurched forward. “Oh…” She gasped.

Jack saw blood seeping out the back of her suit. He gently grabbed her and pulled her down. He kept low too. “Jackie,” He whispered. “Are you okay?”

“Pain… in back.”

Neither of them noticed Clint Hill hovering above them or the fact they were now going 100MPH. Jack kissed her. “I love you.”

“Love you too….” She groaned. “What happened?”

“You….uh were shot.”

She passed out from the shock. Jack held her. He tried to remain calm but he couldn’t. He kept stroking her hair till they arrived at a hospital.

Jackie snapped out of her thought and smoothed down her dress. She was a cripple, she thought. They’ll ignore me like they do everyone else. She stopped crying and lay down. I will beat this; I will not be remembered for being weak. She fell asleep with a positive image in her head.