The Faeyrwynn Prophecy: Chapter Sixteen

Author's Note: Hey guys(: Decided to publish a week early, got some free time to type. I've been keeping a notebook at school now to draft this story, and every little chance I get I jot down a few words. The past two weeks have resulted in this chapter. Enjoy(:

~Seth~

Faking confidence, I stood tall before the royal counsel. I focused on the wall behind them, fighting a headache while trying to appear unfazed by their harsh scrutiny.

“How can we be sure?” The Summer King, Elliot, asked skeptically.

“After all, it could have been our magic… A flame charm, perhaps? With all due respect Winter fey have not exactly been experts per se—“

“—My daughter has fought for many years! Do you really think she would be so naïve as to not recognize Summer magic?” Celia, the Winter Queen, interrupted shrilly.

She turned towards King Elliot, glaring icily. The temperature in the room plummeted, and I swallowed nervously. The Winter King placed his hand over his wife’s, more to calm her than out of affection.

His cold gaze locked on me.

“Demonstrate.”

Meila stepped forward, “Father, he’s still very weak from last time. He can barely stand, let alone—“

He cut her off, repeating himself once more.

“Demonstrate.”

Meila shot me an apologetic look, for there was nothing she could do. A Pryncess could never disobey the will of her father. Especially the will of Rin.

I closed my eyes and, for the second time today, tried to find a thread of the mysterious magic. Blocking out everything around me, I searched for the spark.

And then I felt it.

Warily this time, I coaxed the spark to appear.  I opened my eyes again, curious to see it again. Slowly, two identical streams of light dripped down from my shoulders to my wrists.

The bright lines wrapped around the underside of my forearm, collecting in twin luminescent pools in my cupped palms. Though there was no pain my limbs felt lighter than air.

The court stared in a mixture of shock and awe. Encouraged, a pushed a little harder and the pools increased in intensity, growing larger. After a few seconds, they outgrew my palms and floated just above them.

Tiny suns.

My vision turned hazy as they grew bigger, and I swayed unsteadily on my feet. Heavy eyelids reminded me that I was low enough on energy as it is. Carefully, I extinguished them, closing my hands.

Meila grabbed me before I could crumple to the ground, supporting me easily despite our height difference. The guards behind us shuffled uneasily at our close proximity.

King Elliot cleared his throat.

“It is clear the boy possesses an old magic. One that eludes even the leaders of Faeyrwynn,” he said slowly.

“Pherydian  magic,” his wife, Farrah, concluded. The three others nodded solemnly in agreement, their courts echoing their sentiments amongst themselves.

“Let us not forget Elliot, that the boy’s power is useless to us. That is, without Emily of course,” Rin reminded them.

“My mother?” I interjected. Both courts stopped talking, the room growing deathly silent. Speaking without permission, you could say, was frowned upon.

“Yes Seth, your mother,” Elliot replied, ignoring my transgression. His hands formed a steeple, and the Summer King stared pensively through them.