A Smile Like Poison

Your breath hitches as you descend the considerable sized staircase. The ball room below swallowed in hues of pale gold and silver.

Gowns sashayed glittering the floor. The tantalizing mystery of the people dancing below besmeared in mask of velvet and satin. You've been to balls before, And yet your enthralled by the grand splendor of it all.

As the music cascades into a beautiful rhythm you breathe in the melody. Couples dance around as if in a trance unbothered by all. You feel in a world all by it's own and you don't mind.

Your feet continue there trek down the stairs as your gown cascades across the floor. You reach the floor, as the cold steel of your dagger presses against your skin. A cold sharp reminder, you have a purpose here. A purpose to kill a man, the prince.

The couples dancing around you pay you no attention, as they whirl in a world of there own. Nearing the edge of the ballroom your eyes scan the sea of gold, basking in the splendor of luxury. You breathe out and In.

You sense his presence, he's coming

A strong warm hand slides to your waist, and you smirk, he had found you. Your pulled around to face him. Traitorous heart fluttering all the while. Because that face, that beautiful face will be your undoing.

"Dance with me?"

"Never."

He smirks pulling you closer and bending down as if to whisper in your ear, his breath warm as it tickles your neck.

"Looking for me, we're you?"

His hand slides to your knee as it traces higher. Your momentarily paralyzed, your chest burns, but so does your temper, As you make to grab the dagger and end this once and for all, his hand slides up your thigh. Your face burns as his touch is soft, light.

His hand travels higher, as you falter a bit, his grip on your waist supports you holding tight. Your eyes flutter close as-

His hand stops. He unsheathed the dagger at your thigh.

Examining it, he turns it over in his hand. Still pressed against him, you made to shove him away. His grib tightens as he holds the blade to your delicate face, it barley touching your skin.

"This for me?" he smiles.

That smile, like poison.

You smirk.