3 - you've fallen into a snowbank

November 29

Cassius Tuffin

One day down, four more to go until winter break. Cassius was getting impatient. He wanted his holiday to come quickly but it felt like the week was going to take forever. He might've hated the Christmas season, but he definitely didn't hate the break from school that they got.

"Cassius, did you eat a muffin yet?" Delaney shouted from downstairs.

"Nope!" he shouted back.

He finished combing through his short, loose brown curls, then grabbed the textbook he'd used for homework the night before, and rushed downstairs.

"Here," his mom said, offering him a muffin from the batch she'd baked yesterday while he and Delaney were at school. "They're chocolate chip."

He took one and tasted it, giving his mother a hum of approval before heading to the front door. He put his shoes and jacket on and was about to open the door to head off to school when someone threw something at him.

"Put these on, dumbass," Delaney told him. "Did you not look outside?"

He looked down at the winter boots that laid on the floor in front of him, "It snowed?" he asked.

"Duh."

"Yeah, you two should wear boots to school," their mom told them from the other room. "Also, maybe get some gloves out from the closet so your fingers don't fall off." 

Cassius groaned. Winter was the worst. He didn't mind light snowfall or the cooler temperature, but as soon as the heavier snow came down, he wished for spring to come. Despite being annoyed with the winter clothing his mom had suggested he and Delaney wore, he agreed with her. The last time he'd avoided wearing mittens during winter, his fingertips had been so cold he could barely feel them anymore.

"Fine," he said, huffing in dislike.

Once he'd grabbed a pair of gloves from a bin in the closet, he turned to his mom, "Now can I go?" he asked.

She nodded, "Have a good day at school, see you later," she replied. "Oh , wait- don't forget to invite some of your friends over for the Christmas party."

"Do you want me to give them invitations?" he asked.

"Oh, right," she responded, going to find the extra invitation cards she had made.

When she returned she handed Cassius a small stack of them, "Alright, here you go," she said. "Now you can go."

With that, he left the house. The snow on the ground wasn't too bad, but it was certainly more than a flurry. It wasn't snowing at that moment, but Cassius was sure it'd start up again some time during the day. He swung his backpack around and tucked the invitations into one of the bag's compartments, zipping it closed. He walked down the snowy sidewalk, seeing Delaney in their house's window, watching some of the neighbors shovel their driveways.

Delaney was a freshman college student, but lived at home. She was lucky enough to have her school only a forty minute drive away from the house. Today, she wasn't going to school because she had two job interviews. She didn't have to skip the whole day though- at most, only half of it- but she'd convinced their mom that it was easier.

Delaney's winter vacation started after Cassius's did. On the week of Christmas day, instead of two weeks before. In all honestly, Cassius knew his school was generous and that he was very lucky. Most of December and the first few days of January were given to them for the break. About four weeks, that was perfect for Cassius, so he wasn't complaining. He understood that Delaney's holiday break time off made way more sense, but he'd take his over hers any day.