Horoscope Approved

Chapter Twelve - Horoscope Approved

I had this enigmatic connection with libraries. I wasn't a bibliophile; honestly, I couldn't remember the last time I'd picked up a book that wasn't meant for academics, yet I loved being in a library.

Maybe it was the different colours. Or the calm.

"Shit!" Meera cried out loud, causing several heads to snap up from their peaceful reading to look at her.

Cheryl and I turned at the same time to find her standing near the shelves, staring at the pool of books she'd just dropped near her feet, slowly lifting her gaze to the pissed off librarian who glared at her from across the room.

We quickly jumped to our feet to help with the mess and started gathering the books in our arms.

"Thanks, guys!" Meera muttered. "She almost blasted me with her laser vision."

"What are you even doing with all those books?" an annoyed voice asked from the table behind us. I turned to the source and felt a speck of irritation at the sight of her. It was Ashley. She was holding a book in her hands, which she had lowered to frown at us.

"Um reading?" Meera raised a brow.

"Really?" She chuckled. "You read? Either of you read? That's new."

Maybe it was a cheerleader thing or a popular person thing to be so unnecessarily rude to everyone.

"Yeah at least we started at some point," I said with a forced smile. "Anyway, is that a picture book you're holding?"

She pressed her lips together and shut the book, glaring at me. "They're called comics, Rebekah."

"Yeah no. I can see the cover, Ashley."

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes and shoved the book in her backpack, zipped it close and got up to leave but her eyes caught something at the entrance of the library and lit up.

I turned my head and froze when I saw Sean walking in with Chad.

My head first dive behind the bookshelf couldn't be any faster. There was no thought behind that action. I just took a dive like an aimless dolphin.

Meera shot me a hopeless look and shook her head, exchanging a glance with Cheryl and they both looked so done with me. I facepalmed myself. Now why the hell did I do that when the ice between me and Sean had broken already? Or was it? That hadn't been a proper conversation. He had only complimented my voice and my t-shirt. And he had cheered for me against Rebecca.

Shit! I was an idiot.

But now, I knew that I couldn't just walk out because all eyes would be on me and I was in no way prepared for that with Sean yet.

Carefully ducking behind the giant shelf, I took a peek through the gaps between the books, thankful for my lower vantage point.

"Hey," Sean said probably to Ashley and my heart fluttered at his voice.

Once he was close enough to be in my view, Ashley threw her arms around him and to my annoyance, planted a kiss on his cheek. "Hey, babe."

My heart was burning.

"Meera. Cheryl," Chad said as a greeting to my friends while looking around. "I thought I saw Becks here when I walked in. Where did she go?"

My eyes widened and I desperately looked around for something. I quickly grabbed a random book from the shelf and hid my face behind it.

"I don't know." Meera let out a nervous chuckle, scooting a little to her right to block me as best as she could from their view. "She's kind of crazy about these books. Must have disappeared somewhere in these shelves. No point looking for her now."