You're On

Chapter Ten - You're On

I was convinced the school vending machine didn't work. They'd just planted a crappy machine and stuffed it with goodies to watch us burn, craving the display items from afar.

"Come on, crackers." I tapped desperately at the coin slot, shaking the machine with everything I had.

As if the stupid snacks showcase took mercy on me, a candy bar fell out and I ducked down to retrieve it with a sigh. Something's better than nothing.

"I was gonna ask if you needed help with that."

"No, I'm good but thanks—"

I glanced sideways briefly before looking back at my candy bar, then did a double take at the person standing in front of me, his hands buried casually in his pockets and a warm smile sitting on his lips.

It was like one of those movie scenes where everything around the actors just blurs and there's a camera revolving around them, focusing only on them. That was the kind of attention the person in front of me had from me. Everything else was a blur.

"Hey! You're Rebekah, right?" he asked.

Did I die and go to heaven? That must be it.

The candy bar dramatically slipped out of my hands and he smiled politely before bending down to get it and handing it back to me. I grabbed a hold of it with shaky hands.

The only thing stopping this from turning into an absolutely pathetic moment for me was me passing out flat on my back because of my overwhelming emotions.

I only blinked, somehow blurting, "t-thanks."

"No problem."

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!

What the hell is going on? Everything seemed too unreal to process to the point where I was wondering if I'd woken up in the morning at all, if it was all a dream. Not just because Sean Villin was standing in front of me but because Sean freaking Villin was talking to me, looking at me. Square in the face. Deep in the eyes.

He was noticing me! He knew my name!

"Nice voice, Rebekah," he said with a smile while walking past me and I just blinked in response again, my head turning with him to follow his movement as if he were the Sun and I were a sunflower.

Then as if my subconscious slapped me back to reality and reminded me once again that I had the ability to speak, I coughed and stuttered out another thanks.

He spun around and started walking backwards as his eyes ran across me and he nodded. "Also, nice t-shirt." He winked before finally turning and walking away.

I looked down to check what I was wearing. A t-shirt saying Ain't No Trouble Scoring with a football right above it. I got that for my older brother but he didn't pack it for college, so I just assumed it was mine now. It was comfortable but oversized; I'd tucked its front in my jeans so it didn't look that baggy.

I released a breath, remaining still for the next ten seconds. Did that really just happen?

It did! It fucking did!

And then, a big grin stretched across my lips and I could easily imagine a deep blush on my cheeks. Hell, I could bet I was as red as a tomato. Sean was everything I'd imagined he would be.

Smart, charming and sexy.

"Smart, charming and sexy," Mack repeated my words, holding back a laugh. "You got that from a forty second conversation?"