Quintessential Horrors of Magnifying Glass

Chapter Eight - Quintessential Horrors of Magnifying Glass

I entered the classroom and offered Mr. Jensen a pitiful smile as a greeting. He did not return it, only nodded at me. In fact, I could've sworn he looked on the verge of rolling his eyes.

To my annoyance, Matt was already there, sitting—no, apparently lounging—in the second last row with his arms sprawled across the table and fingers steepled together like he had gotten used to this already. Like sitting through detention wasn't a big deal anymore. He saw me enter, scowled, grunted as I could tell by the movement of his lips and only snapped his eyes away because he had to snatch his phone off the table when its screen lit up.

"I gave a very good review last time and you both still managed to come back here." Mr. Jensen sighed, eyes shifting between us languidly. "But before you start faking any pretenses again, I'll have you know that I'll be giving a good review today as well. So, feel free to sit as far away from each other as possible and keep your interactions to the minimum."

My surprised smile couldn't get any bigger. "You're an angel, Mr. Jensen. Thank you so much."

I sat down in the front row, farthest possible from all that vileness my enemy exuded, and pulled out my math work. I could use the time to finish my homework now that I didn't have someone's abhorrent company being imposed on me.

I rolled the pen between my fingers while figuring out my math problem, too engrossed to mark someone's arrival until I heard loud and fast footsteps right outside the classroom.

"I'm so sorry. I'm late." Chad appeared in the doorway, out of breath. His messy golden curls were swept across his forehead and he quickly ran a hand through them to push them back. I always associated his appearance with Ken doll for some reason, even though it was nowhere close.

"That's okay. Please settle down." The teacher nodded while glancing down at his watch.

Blowing out a quick breath, he meandered inside and the moment his eyes fell on me, he did a double take and a big smile stretched across his lips. "Becks? Hey!"

"Hi, Chad."

"What's a good girl like you doing here in detention?" he asked, then his eyes went further and located Matt. "Hey, bud."

I looked back just in time to see my enemy give Chad a two-finger wave for a hi, no smile, and went back to his phone.

"Sometimes good people get in trouble because of bad people." I smiled back at my enemy sarcastically. He obviously ignored that.

"Oh." Chad looked between us, nodding slightly as if recalling our coffeeshop encounter. Then he started making his way to the benches and stopped right next to the one I was occupying and his smile was back. "Mind if I sit with you?"

"Of course not." I scooted over to make space for him.

He quickly settled next to me and propped his backpack in front of him on the desk. "What are you studying?"

"Math."

"Mind tutoring me on this one?" He tapped a finger at the solved problem in my notebook. "I couldn't quite get the hang of it because of football practice."

"Me?" I chuckled, recalling how it had taken me ten minutes to solve it in class and I wasn't even sure if it was right yet. "Trust me, I'm the last person you want to tutor you at math. I suck."

He placed his elbow on the table and propped the side of his head on his palm. "I do not believe that at all, Becks."

I struggled to come up with something because he was looking at me like a fanboy, or more precisely, like an adorable puppy and I suddenly remembered Meera mentioning that he had a thing for me.