Chapter 6

"Dean, I can't do that, if I call my Mom, John will find me" Sydney said choking back tears.

Dean pulled out a brand new cell phone. "Here I bought you this, it's prepaid, no way to trace it, after you use it, throw it in the Hudson river" Dean said handing her the phone.

"I.. I can't" Sydney said.

"Why not" Dean questioned.

"I haven't spoken to my mom in 2 years, I wouldnt even know what to say" she said as she wiped away some tears.

"Sydney she is your mother, she needs to know that you are alive, that you're ok. Call her, please" Dean said reaching her the phone again.

Sydney took the phone. She stared at it for several minutes.

"I'll give you some privacy, I'm going to take the dogs out" Dean said as he put leases on the dogs. "I'll be back in 10"

Sydney smiled through her tears. "Thank you Dean"

"Your welcome, sweetheart" Dean said as he shut the front door behind him.

Sydney walked over and sat on the couch. She held the phone, it felt so heavy in her hand. She finally got the courage to dial her mom's phone number. But she put the phone down and walked over to the window. She could see Dean walking the dogs, he was back on the phone again, he looked up at her and smiled.

"Man oh man, what I would give to find a man as kind and caring as he is, why did Mom ever let him get away" Sydney said with a smile.

She walked back over and picked up the phone and pressed send. The nerves started to sink in.

"Hello?" Her mom said.

Sydney froze, she didn't know what to say.

"Helllllloooo?" Her Mom repeated.

"Ma... Mom" Sydney choked out.

She heard her Mom gasp on the other end. "Sydney!? Is that you, is it really you" her Mom said starting to cry.

"Yeah mom, it's me, it's Sydney" Sydney said with a smile through her own tears.

"Oh heavens above, how are you darlin? Are you eating, where are you?" Her mom was full of questions.

"I'm good mom, yes I'm eating, and I'd rather not say where I am" Sydney replied.

"Oh Lord child, it's so good to hear your voice again, I'm so happy you called" her mom said through sobs. "Sara!! Sara!! Come here! Hurry!" Her mom yelled.

"Hello?" Sara said into the phone.

"Hey Sara" Sydney said crying even more, she had really missed her little sister.

"Sydney? Oh my god is that you!" Sara said as she started to cry. "I miss you so much, when are you coming home" Sara asked.

"I miss you too, and I don't know when I'll be able to come home" Sydney said.

"I started my senior year you know, I'll be 18 soon" Sara said, making small talk.

"Oh my gosh, your growing up on me" Sydney said through smiles and tears.

Dean had started to walk back in the door.

"Sara, let me talk to mom again" Sydney said.

"Here honey, let me put you on speaker" her mother's voice said.

Sydney had already had her phone on speaker, the moment Dean heard her mother's voice, he turned to stare at the phone.

"How are you Sydney, really?" Her mother asked.

"I'm good Mom, I bet this really nice man and you...." Sydney stopped, Dean was shaking his head no, telling her not to saying anything about him, that this was her phone call. "You.. you would like him, Mom" Sydney finally said

"If he is taking car of my baby girl, I already do" her Mom said.

Dean smiled. Sydney could see he joy in his eyes.

"How's Dad" Sydney said.

The whole room went silently.

"Sydney, there is something you need to know" her mom said.

Sydney's stomach sank. She couldn't take any bad news.

"What is it Mom, what happened" Sydney choked back more tears.

"Sydney, about a year ago, your father was in an accident, he was hit by a drunk driver. It put him in a coma" her mom said.

"But... But he is ok right? Right!?" Sydney said. Raising her voice. Dean sat next to her and put his arm across her back, for support.

"Sydney, your father passed away 3 months ago" her mom finally got out.

Sydney didn't know what to say. Her father had died, and because of John she didn't even know. She sat there in silence. Dean hugged her tight as she cried. "But how, what happened, why!!!" Sydney was devastated.

Sydney's mom was emotional. Sydney could hear her heavy sobs. Sara finally spoke. "He went out one night to get coffee, we were planning a big breakfast the next morning and they were out, I told him that stuff was nasty and tasted like chalk. he laughed at me and went anyway" Sara started to choke up.

"What happened" Sydney repeated.

"He was almost at the corner market when a semi ran a red light and hit the car, we later found out that the driver had been drinking" Sara said.

"I'm so sorry, I should have been there. I should have come home." Sydney said repeatedly.

"There was nothing you could have done, baby" her mother said.

"But I never even got to say goodbye" Sydney said quietly.

"Your father knew you loved him, and he never gave up hope that you would come home" her mom said.

"It wasn't my fault, John... He..." Sydney said.

"Oh, we know all about that piece of shit" Sara said.

"Language!" Her mother said. "John called every single day for 6 months after you left, asking us where you went, if we heard from you, and that he needed to find you" her Mom said.

"I'm sure he did" Sydney said.

"What happened, darlin. Why did you run away?" Her mother asked.

Sydney told her mother and sister all about how John had locked her in a basement, beat her everyday, and how she escaped.

"I did the only thing that would keep me alive" Sydney said. "Run"