Chapter 1

Sydney turned the corner to go to the market and ran smack into him. "I'm so sorry, miss" he said as he kneeled to help her pick up her purse.

He handed it back to her looked her in the eyes "oh my god" he said.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going" she said to him.

"Oh no, no, your fine you just.. you look so much like.. oh that can't be possible" he muttered to himself.

Ok. This man is crazy, nice going Syd, out of all the people in Manhattan to run into you run into Mr. Crazy.

"You from around here?" He asked

"No, I just moved here trying to find a place and a job" she said with a smile as she tried to walk around him.

"Well, I'm looking to rent out a room in my apartment if your interested, I travel a lot and don't like leaving my dogs in a kennel" as he handed her a flyer from the stack that he was carrying.

WANTED

Dependable, non-crazy roommate, looking for someone to help dog sit when I'm away. $250 a month

If interested call 555-5933

"Omg, $250 a month that's way cheaper than anything I've found" Sydney said. "But I don't have a job yet, so maybe I'll get in touch with you then, ok?" Sydney asked him.

"That sounds great, names Dean" he said as he extended his hand.

"Sydney" as she shook his hand.

She put his flyer in her purse and started back to the market.

"She looks just like her, but that isn't possible, that was so long ago" Dean muttered to himself.

He shook it off and went on about his way posting the flyers to boards and posts.

Sydney walked in to the market, grabbed an application and walked out. She had went to 4 grocery stores for applications. She used to love working at the corner market in her hometown.

She went to a nearby park to fill them all out. She sat down and started. She got to where it said address and had to stop, not only did she try to write her old address but she realized she didn't currently have an address. She sat the applications down and started to pick up her phone. She unlocked it, then locked it back. She wanted so badly to call her mother. But she knew if she did, he would find her.

She picked up her things and headed back to the shelter she was staying at. She needed to find a job and quick. She didn't like being in that shelter. But it was all she had.

She started back 'home'. Home was the one thing she missed the most. She missed the smell of the country side, the barn out back, she missed her parents and her little sister. She had been gone for almost 2 years now. She hadn't spoken to her Mom since she ran away. But she knew if she hadn't, he would have killed her.

John wasn't always like that, he used to be sweet and caring. They had met when they were 16, he had moved there from another state and it was love at first site. They fell in love and he was everything she ever wanted. But when they were 19, everything changed. John's mother had passed away from cancer. And turned his world upside down. He had never had a father. So in John's eyes his mother and Sydney were all he had.

John became jealous. Every time Sydney would talk to another man it threw him into a fit of rage. He was always making scenes in public. And she had finally had enough and told him it was over.

He didn't take it very well.