Chapter 25.

They appeared out of thin air, Thiriiks, hundreds of them, materializing themselves between the trees, behind the bush in the shifting shadows of the undergrowth.

It broke the tension. Some of them laughed, out loud for no other particular reason than seeing their number increase when it had been eroded by the unfortunate events of their hazardous meanderings.

The good thing with Thiriiks is that they know, there is no need to explain. It is unclear as to how they do it, but they do. And also, they are efficient: one large part of their efficiency is probably due to the fact that one doesn't haggle with a women who can kill you in twenty different fashion by the time you have said: 'I don't think we should'.

They raced them off directly to the harbor of Keteb. The forest yielded abruptly to a flattish grey green grass plain, the long blades were undulating in the wind like waves suddenly illuminated by pillars of light piercing the thick clouds heavy with a rain they intended for some other parts. The mountains were behind them and the oppressive forest, but as they neared the coast it remained inexplicably empty and the boys looked at Maasil questioningly but he raised his shoulders helplessly, there was no trace of buildings, no roads, the featureless land looked as if men had never been here, yet the Mountains behind them had protected these parts from most of the destructions caused by the Cataclysm. T'tebera silently pointed behind them to the side and they craned their necks to see in the distance the walls of a city raised on a plateau against the first peaks of the Patiline Chain. Oneg looked back at her and she pointed directly in front of them this time and the boys saw one tall pole from which hanged an ancient brass lantern. It wasn't burning in daytime but it certainly indicated that there was something.

The harbor of Keteb had been dug in the network of caves and gullets hollowed out by the sea in the cliff face over the ages. Originally there only was a tiny cove in which a round-hull could fit snugly. The Thiriik had cleared rubble and opened docks, cut granaries and storage from the rock and opened corridors from rooms to rooms until a true little town started living underground and above water. The only road that came from the city plunged straight between two walls of rock and veered sharply to one side and the other until it reached a plaza of sorts, the surrounding walls were all pierced with windows and doors, there was a tavern like in all good harbor, a proper inn, a forge and a Ferollian counter.

Limero approached what seemed like the leading Thiriik.

"Please I must speak with you in confidence, as soon as you can allow it."

"Monk, There is nothing you can say here that will leave these walls, speak without manner for there is much attend to before you can sail."

The monk looked profoundly uneasy but looking here and there he found no reason to contradict the Sar in front of him.

"I must speak with a Seer Circle."

"What need do you have of the circle, we are blind to her you know that."

"Hrm, I know, I do not seek to have the folds of time read..." Limero hesitated some more and the Sar showed clearly that he'd better not delay much further.

"I need to send a message to an other circle." The Sar looked at him with mild curiosity. "What circle and what message?"

Limero was defeated so he let the truth out. "There is a Thirrik Seer Circle on the third island in the Archipelago I need it to convey news of the attacks of the Veviensis to the Council of Eight, if you would please introduce me to them."

The Sar instantly lead him off and they vanished in one of the streets to one side.

Maasil stood there unable to move, he looked at the place where his master had stood seconds before muttering incoherently to himself.