Chapter 4

"What is the meaning of the daily celebrations Maasil?"

These were the last days of winter. It had not been a very cold one, the snow had not remained on the ground for long and even the icy rains coming from beyond the Curupagh Mountain Chain had not lasted. There was a feeling that spring had already started, what with the longer days and the mild sunny afternoons. The nights were still frosty, but just about and as soon as the sun rose above the horizon, the crisp white frost melted away barely leaving a trace of moisture on the ground.

True to the travel plans of their Master, they had ridden down to the docks on the Redane River and secured passage on the barge leaving for the town of Nirh.

Each of the young men had been provided with traveling bags for their horse branded with the crest of their family, the leather dyed the color of their Mark. Roras had been quite generous, in a gruff way, pretending badly that he was unfazed by what he considered as his three sons leaving his watchful eyes for the first time. His two sergeants were only three or four years older than the boys and probably as exited at such an opportunity as they were. They would prove to be ruthless Castle Run players and would have bled Farenn and Terrey dry of their moon allowance if Maasil had not outwitted them all and avenged his elders. That is until Limero placed a strict ban on gambling of all sorts and the leisurely barge trip down the river continued on, punctuated by the frustrated sounds of Stenek and Herral trying to understand the bright strategy of the little boy.

That lesson in finance management, they had received aboard was well integrated when they reached Nirh on market day. The boys walked the alleys between the stalls and looked on the goods at a distance. The only one who decided on a purchase was again Maasil. The little one, short for his age, his unruly mop of loose curls untended walked straight to a calamus and linen merchant and started questioning the merits of his wares and the rates at which he was selling them. A moment later he walked off with two parcels leaving a confused merchant to contemplate the half and black moons in his hand wondering where it all had gone wrong.

They met Limero sitting by the well near the entrance to the healing room of the town. If Terrey was disappointed that they were to stay in the monastery and not in the inn, he changed his mind as soon as he saw the dining table the Triarch had had set for them in the refectory and it is fair to say that he only notice the sparseness of the cell where he slept when he woke up the following morning. The following day they found the Triarch, a thin benevolent man, had been efficient with the horses he procured and Stenek was showing off to Oneg and Farenn his comprehensive knowledge of the qualities of the animals when the monks came out in the courtyard signaling that the time to depart was upon them.

"You are in Ziom now," The Triarch was saying as they mounted. "You will find the roads paved where ever you go and Celerin relays every ten Rabatean Leagues. There is often food and supply to be had there, but the Celerins will charge you for sleeping."

"We thank you for your roof and food Triarch," Limero said, "and may the three Goddesses watch over you and yours"

"As they do for all who live under their three moons." The Triarch replied in the customary way.

As they rode through the upper reach of the Gascol Forest, Herral and Farren were riding side by side exchanging hunting stories, while Terrey, his wide brim hat pushed low on his head had clearly nodded off. The road had taken them by numerous villages and well-tended fields, plowed and ready for the first sowing of the year. Stonewalled enclosure held the cattle that watched them passing by with unfocused disinterest.

"What is the meaning of the daily celebrations Maasil?" Limero asked of the boy riding a barrel-chested, flat-backed pony on which he was balancing the same volume of linen squares that he had been studying in the Keregan's squarery. He looked at his master and started reciting the lesson learned.