Pick Me. Choose Me. Love Me (6)

cont.................

What You Seek, Is Seeking you

In the morning, it was a red eyed Eda who marched into Efe's office, before anyone came in and threw the emails in front of Efe. Efe was taken aback and paled as soon as he saw the emails. He looked as though his worst nightmares had come to pass and tottered to his desk where he sat with his head in his hand, Eda looked at him with her anger and impatience rising... "Why Efe, why? Who are you? How do you know Babanne? What is your game plan?" she yelled at him, fighting the urge to slap his face. At long last Efe raised his face from his palms, his face soaked in tears.

Efe: "Eda I didn't mean to. I never wanted to."

Eda: " Damn it you evil man, there could have been someone in the room when the roof collapsed. Someone could have died because of you.. Are you so evil? And after that you pinned blame on Serkan? Why ? What are you up to?"... as Efe wept inconsolably into his hands, Eda fumed at his temerity

Finally, Efe told her the sad story. As a young student, who was the son of Eda's babanne's housekeeper, it was her rich imperious grandmother who had paid for his scholarship to Italy to study architecture.. Not out of kindness, because kindness was not an emotion Babanne felt too much, but because she liked to buy the allegiance of desperate but talented people. And then it was time for Efe to pay his debts by working where Eda worked, becoming her boss and try and set her path back to her grandmom and her considerable wealth of which Eda was the sole inheritor.

Eda listened in horror but wasn't too surprised. She knew her grandmother had a tyrannical streak in her and virtually all her emotions of love and attachment had been vested in her son, who was now dead. Now all she cared about was to get Eda back to herself because Eda had that something precious – her son's genepool, she was her son's rightful heir. She never acknowledged Eda's mother, treating her in death as she had treated her in life—as if she wasn't there.

Still it didn't explain what Efe had been doing with Serkan. She understood Babanne's impulse to wean her away from her attachment to Serkan, but why harm the Bolats. Why harm Serkan's reputation once Eda had moved away from him? Nothing explained that. At that Efe, shut up and adamantly said he didn't know anything about it.

The more she pushed him to reveal the Bolats connection with Babanne, the more Efe became silent and, in fact, resistant to Eda. Finally Eda threatened Efe with calling in the police. At this Efe stood up, back in control. He said, "Eda if you call in the police, your grandmother goes to jail with me..All these emails you printed out show she was the one giving the orders. I did what she wanted. Yes you can harm me but will you send your old grandmother to jail too? There is someone who links you together, your father. Will you be so disloyal to his memory? " Efe laughed humorlessly," You called me evil. I am merely weak and repaying the debt of an evil woman. I made sure the roof didn't collapse on anyone. She was the one who wanted me to make sure Serkan suffered. "

She listened to him wild eyed, her ehart hammering, "Why? why ? why Serkan?"

Efe said, "that is a story that you must ask your grandmother. And if you blame me for having broken up you and Serkan, you will be wrong. Even though your grandmother wanted me to woo you and sweep you off your feet, I did not. Why? Would I be stupid enough to have any contact with the mad woman you call your Babanne after this task was over? Plus I liked you, genuinely liked you, even though you come from that line of mad witches. Why would I want to hurt you further when fate has already dealt you a mean blow in the form of your grandmother?.".. he shrewdly looked at her.".I never broke you and Serkan up ,even though those were my orders. You did that to yourself. I merely offered you a life after Serkan and you were apart."