Chapter 23

The world stopped spinning. Issa's vision went black.

* * *

There was a buzzing in her ears. The whiteness of the Hospital Wing made her squint to see. There was the odor of lemongrass and herbs, same as always. Issa was glad she didn't go to muggle hospitals, those were the worst. Obviously she has never been to one, but how her father explained it was enough. Brighter lights, muggles in weird clothing with masks on, maybe so you couldn't see their faces. And if they killed you, no one would know how they looked. There was the smell of metal and medicines that muggles used. They took way more time to heal than a quick healing charm. They were more painful than Skelegrow.

Muggles just make everything more painful and slow, to see you suffer. Her father teased her. That was only to scare her, Issa wouldn't believe that...

People talked in hushed voices, though Issa could hear them quite well. "Thank you so much for bringing them here, Eden." The nice voice of Madam Promfey said.

"You're welcome, ma'am." He said it with such a small voice that it took a minute for Issa to realize it was Eden. Eden. If it hadn't been for her neck that cursed pain through her back Issa would've jumped out of the bed and strangled him.

They might have heard her wince and groan, because they both turned to look at her. Madam Promfey whispered something to Eden Issa couldn't hear and strode off. Leaving Eden and Issa alone.

Perfect. Now she could really kill him.

Her earlier memories were fuzzy. Probably because her vision was fuzzy on the last seconds she remembered. Eden had her by the neck. Then something hit Issa at the back of her head, not really, but it felt like it.

The Eden standing before her was the real Eden. Or was he not? Was Issa able to kill the old man that controlled Eden? Or was this Eden trying to trick her? Her head throbbed with confusion. If this was the Fake Eden, wouldn't she be dead already?

Eden stayed were he was. Sadness and pain were in his eyes. This is him.

When Issa couldn't stare at him anymore she turned her head left. Her heart skipped a beat. Albus.

His eyes were closed, but he was breathing. Dark hair fell over his face. He was looking at her direction. "H-he is okay?" Issa croaked. Even if he was okay, there would still be guilt inside Issa, he would be even more okay if she hadn't brought him along.

"He's is unconscious, still. He'll awake soon. Lack of blood.

Her chest tightened. Issa wanted to stand up. She was tired of sitting. Tired of not being able to do anything. "Madam Promfey set that there for you, you should drink it." On a table next to her bed was a cup with what looked like honey. She doubted it was honey, but Issa gulped it down anyway. Instantly, she felt relief. Like if all her problems had been swallowed down with the honey-looking drink. It tasted of sugar and lemon. Not bad.

Eden rubbed the back of his neck. "Forgive me, please."

Issa straitened her back. "You don't need me to forgive you, it wasn't your fault." Somehow Issa understood what he wanted to apologize for, and he was taking the guilt. "It's not like you chose being controlled...or did you?"

He chuckled. And then rubbed his head. "No. I guess it's not really my fault. But I don't know what else to say."

There was a question that had been nagging at the back of her head. "Eden... h-how long were you...?" Issa couldn't seem to be able to finish.

Eden looked at the floor. "Controlled?" He knit his eyes together. "Since the first time I met you." His words hit Issa. Like a punch in the stomach. She had never even been with the real Eden.