Chapter 9

It was not uncommon for students of one House to sit at another's table during meals but both Lily and Issa had agreed that I would have attracted way too much attention. Instead, they spoke and schemed in the courtyard behind some hanging vines that blocked the view into the field. 

Issa had gotten used to the physical touch that Lily couldn't seem to speak without by the time they had settled on a plan. Her hands were always moving. They gestured in the air or reached out to Issa gently. Placing one on her shoulder to emphasize a point or poke her on the chest. When they sat down, her fingertips pressed on her knee briefly when she agreed on something. Initially, Issa's skin had twitched but after a while she even expected it before it came. 

At lunch time, Issa noticed the discomfort in Lily's voice when she spoke to Victoria at the Gryffindor table. Issa was facing the opposite way and was a few seats away, but could still hear the stiffness of her laughs and how she didn't look up from her plate. They had agreed that Victoria shouldn't be aware yet of her distrust. 

"Do you want to go over it?" Issa asked, she plucked a leaf free from its vine and twirled it in between her fingers. 

Lily shook her head. "It should be fine." She brushed out the wrinkles of her robes when she stood. 

"It's time, then." Issa said, also standing up. She let the heart-shaped leaf fall unto the grass. 

They had chosen the Great Hall, because Issa said that it would be the best place to expose Victoria. The entire school would be just on the other side of the doors, having dinner. Lily couldn't have proposed a more appropriate spot, Victoria and Albus were glued to each other at all times nonetheless, even in the common room nowadays. All they had to do was separate them for just a moment. 

Issa stood pressed against the wall next to the big oak doors of the Great Hall. She kept a close eye on the table where Albus and Victoria sat. Lily walked in. Issa saw as she shuffled between the two and secretively slipped in a drop of liquid into Albus's cup without more than a flick of her wrist. It wouldn't be long until he needed to excuse himself to use the restroom. That would be the only moment when they would be apart.

Not a minute had gone by when Albus stood up.

"I also need to use the restroom." Victoria followed him instantly. 

"Actually Vic, there was something I needed to speak with you about." Lily grabbed her robes.

"When I'm back, alright?" Victoria pulled away from her grip. Lily could hear the tautness in Victoria's voice that she had brushed over before. She noticed now how her eyes were always darting from place to place and how constantly her head jerked to look at Albus, as if he could disappear at any moment.

"I'll follow you to the bathroom." Lily compromised. 

Victoria couldn't seem to reject. They left the Hall and turned the corner to the ground floor bathrooms. The boy's one was on the opposite end. Lily looked at her friend.

"Lets go, I'll tell you inside." Lily urged, but Victoria didn't move. Albus turned to blow her a kiss as he headed down the hall. Victoria followed him. "It's the other way." Lily reminded her.

"I- ah, yeah, I forgot." Victoria chuckled. 

Lily guided her to the other end. She closed the bathroom door behind them. 

Issa, who had already made her way inside the boy's bathroom struck Albus as soon as he stepped inside. He flipped upside down in the air with a scream, dangling from one foot. His robes fell forward and then his locket slipped over his head. Issa moved to catch it with a handkerchief- Lily had warned her not to touch it for even a second- but Albus was faster and he caught it before it passed his chin. In a blink, he had whipped his wand out and a blast of lightning caught Issa in the chest knocking her against one of the stall doors.